Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Advice needed. Tennessee rifle.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline BillingsDave

• TMA Forum Member
Advice needed. Tennessee rifle.
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »
My first post here. Great forum! It's time to build another rifle. I have built two rifles. One representative of a 1890 LeHigh Valley, and and also an early Lancaster Valley rifle. This time I would like to build one representative of what my great great grandfather might have carried when left Tennessee to move to Southwest Missouri in 1852. I know it it impossible to know exactly what he might have carried. Here is some background. He was born in Lincoln county Tennessee (south central Tennessee on the the Alabama border) in 1832. When we was 17 he volunteered for service in the Mexican war and served under General Scott during his push to Mexico City. In 1852 when he was 21 he, along with his wife and child, joined a wagon train from Lincoln county bound for Missouri. He eventually settled in Christain county Missouri.
Again, I know that it is impossible to know exactly what he might have carried, but if you were going to build a rifle representative of what he MIGHT have carried, what would it be? Thanks

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
Re: Advice needed. Tennessee rifle.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
Your correct, no way to really know just what he might a packed.  Perhaps a Tennessee "Hog" rifle, walnut full stock, forged iron trim, English cap lock, or flint--maybe it was his pappy's gun ? set triggers.  Or a Hardware store rifle, 1/2 stock,  a trade rifle type, leman, Henry, Dimmick ?????
 Make what you like....Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »
A SxS shotgun would be a good guess.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Welcome to our camp, BillingsDave.  :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline pa dutchman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
He may have carried a rifle by one of the gunmakers from the Lincoln County area by the name of Bearden. Jerry Noble, in his books on the Tennessee rifles show several Bearden guns. My wife's family also left Lincoln Co about the same time as yours and settled in north central Arkansas. She is actually a Bearden descendent, though not thru one of the known gunmakers.
Mark Poley

Offline BillingsDave

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
Quote from: "pa dutchman"
He may have carried a rifle by one of the gunmakers from the Lincoln County area by the name of Bearden. Jerry Noble, in his books on the Tennessee rifles show several Bearden guns. My wife's family also left Lincoln Co about the same time as yours and settled in north central Arkansas. She is actually a Bearden descendent, though not thru one of the known gunmakers.
Mark Poley

Thanks Mark. I have been doing some research since I first posted and discovered that Alfred Bearden and my GG grandfather lived within 2 miles of each other. They were also both Freemasons as I am, and Bearden was actively producing rifles during the correct time period. So after I do a lot more research a Bearden inspired rifle it will be.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Looking forward to see what you build. :toast
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
Howdy Dave :wave Welcome!

Keep us posted on your shooter build!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!