Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Bedford county rifle question  (Read 789 times)

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Bedford county rifle question
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
Can't seem to find any info on barrels used in Bedford rifles. The coulpe of books I have don't give specifics as to wether they were swamped and dimentions, any thoughts? I've built 5 so far all with straight barrels. I have a Colrain "C" weight, 44" That would make a good starting point. I'll probably use it anyway,just would like some verification.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline tall bear

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »
Pathfinder
I looked in some of my references.The only Bedford maker I could find that used swamped barrels was Peter White.White did most of his work in Union county which  may explain why.A lot of barrels from that area of western Pa. are listed as straight in the reference books but have a very slight taper and flair but nowheres near as much as that C weight colrain.Most commercial barrels today have too much Taper and flair to match these old ones.The only barrel maker that makes barrels that copy these nearly staight barrels is John Getz.That being said if you went ahead and used that Colorain no one but you would ever notice  :)

Mitch
TMA Charter Member #30 7/1/09

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
That's kinda what I though,although my gun makin' buddies around here would notice,they ARE that good and a real insperation to me, I hope to be as good as them one day. Bedford's are my favorite to build,I love how slim they have to be.
What referance books did you use Tallbear?
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Osprey

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »
I"m starting one now, and everything I found was straight bbl.  Got a 7/8 .54 Getz for the one I'm building, now that I'm into the patterning stage it's almost scary how skinny and tiny they are in the back half of the gun.  Get the Whisker book, lots of good pics in it.

This is my first from a blank doing it all myself.  Taking my time, it's to be a gift for my old college room-mate and good hunting buddy.  He still takes care of my taxes every year, time to pay him back.  :)

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
I know this doesn't answer your question, but for what it's worth, I built one with a swamped barrel and haven't been questioned about it from anyone in about 5 yrs.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline tall bear

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
Pathfinder
The book with the barrel info is the book Kentucky Rifles&Pistols 1750-1850 put out by the KRA.It's the only one that list the difference between swamped and straight.The book The Bedford County Rifle and It's Makers by Calvin Hetrick lists  barrels by length and cal. but not whether they are straight or swamped.The Jim Whisker book gives no barrel info.

One problem with that C weight is how big in the breach it is.I don't konw what lock your useing but if it is the one of the Bedford locks,they are pretty skinny and may look a little out of place next to the big breach.Tough to get the skinny Bedford look with that big of a breach.Something to think about is maybee doing a Western Pa. rifle like a Westmorland County gun.If you used a Chambers Late Ketland lock it would work better with that C weight breach.Just a thought!!

Mitch
TMA Charter Member #30 7/1/09

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
I also believe White made a few swamped barrele.  Most however were straight between 7/8" and 15/16".  I built a .36 that had a 3/4" barrel and had a difficult time telling an old expert that one really did exist, made by Defibaugh.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.