Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Build or Buy Already Built  (Read 1364 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Re: Build or Buy Already Built
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
I started with a CVA Mountain rifle kit.  Was happy with the results and had a lot of fun shooting it.  As I became more involved my eye became more educated.  Since that first kit, I've put together several guns, restored a few, and carved out a couple of stocks along the way.  Years ago you could save some money over the cost of a finished gun by finishing a kit yourself.  Today, not so much.  My gun building skills will never reach the level of my taste for quality.  So now, when I want one that's' built right I buy it already done.
Steve Sells

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
I've kind'a been waitin' to see if anyone was going to mention "parts guns",.... I've been buyin' "parts guns" for many years, salvaging what "parts" I can off of'em and re-building them proper.  :hey-hey
The barrel is GOOD (and this one is already "breeched" and "stamped", so that'll save me some time),.... current price from Track (for a plain un-breeched .58 cal. smooth bore barrel) is $205.00
The lock is GOOD,.... current price from Track is $149.00
Ramrod pipes are GOOD,.... current price from Track is $3.00 ea.
Butt plate is GOOD,.... current price from Track is $19.99

All I will need to buy is a stock blank,.... the trigger, trigger guard, and a front sight, I can make myself, unless I get lazy.  :rt th

...., so I'm probably gonna wind up with less-than $350.00 total dollars (plus some "time" FWTW) in the re-build, and I've already got a guy wanting it before I get started :hey-hey
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »
I have put together a number of kit guns, but I don't have the skill or inclination to start from scratch. I enjoy working with leather (made a goodly number of shooting bags over the years, some of which I sold), finishing powder horns and putting handles on knife blades. I may try to tackle a gun build after I retire, but for now my hobby time is fairly limited, so I stick to what I know and enjoy.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe