Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rifle Building Parts We Can Make Ourselves  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Rifle Building Parts We Can Make Ourselves
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:19:30 PM »
In the past I've talked about the muzzle loading parts we can actually make ourselves and save a little money. The more you can make for your build the less "money" you have invested, and it's really a trade off in time -vs- expense. However, it's a great learning experience making some of your own parts for your build. Sure, you still have to buy the raw materials for cutting / filing / fitting, but normally you'll have enough on hand for several rifles if you choose to go the "semi-self build" route which is quite rewarding.

There's always metal available somewhere / either at the dump, setting in a corner of a friends garage that he's happy to get rid of, or at a hardware store, or hobby store,,, but the latter two will cost you money. Perhaps you got some metals lay around wondering what to do with it?

Here's a list of what I normally will make myself for a build, unless I've decided otherwise;

Stock
Trigger plate
trigger
Front Sight
Rear Sight
Toe Plate
Underlug for Pins
Pins
Underlug for Wedge Key
Wedge Keys
Sideplates
Ramrod
Flashguard for caplocks
Flash Hole Liner (vent) for flintlock

Things I feel I could make but haven't as yet, are;

Butt Plate
Trigger Guard
Ramrod Pipes

So,,, if you can stand the expense of the; Lock, Barrel, Breach Plug, Drum & Nipple, nose cap if you want one (depending on your build) - you could make a passable traditional muzzle loading firearm if you want to trade off time in the workshop over spending the dollars ordering the parts you could actually make.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Rifle Building Parts We Can Make Ourselves
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:06:39 PM »
In the past I've talked about the muzzle loading parts we can actually make ourselves and save a little money. The more you can make for your build the less "money" you have invested, and it's really a trade off in time -vs- expense. However, it's a great learning experience making some of your own parts for your build. Sure, you still have to buy the raw materials for cutting / filing / fitting, but normally you'll have enough on hand for several rifles if you choose to go the "semi-self build" route which is quite rewarding.

There's always metal available somewhere / either at the dump, setting in a corner of a friends garage that he's happy to get rid of, or at a hardware store, or hobby store,,, but the latter two will cost you money. Perhaps you got some metals lay around wondering what to do with it?

Here's a list of what I normally will make myself for a build, unless I've decided otherwise;

Stock
Trigger plate
trigger
Front Sight
Rear Sight
Toe Plate
Underlug for Pins
Pins
Underlug for Wedge Key
Wedge Keys
Sideplates
Ramrod
Flashguard for caplocks
Flash Hole Liner (vent) for flintlock

Things I feel I could make but haven't as yet, are;

Butt Plate
Trigger Guard
Ramrod Pipes

So,,, if you can stand the expense of the; Lock, Barrel, Breach Plug, Drum & Nipple, nose cap if you want one (depending on your build) - you could make a passable traditional muzzle loading firearm if you want to trade off time in the workshop over spending the dollars ordering the parts you could actually make.

Nose caps can be made of poured pewter, and directions for making them out of sheet brass can also be found on the ennernet.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »
Love the way Hershel house pours his nose caps.
I would like to just experiment with his procedures and try a few.
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:25 AM »
Love the way Hershel house pours his nose caps.
I would like to just experiment with his procedures and try a few.

Same here...  :bl th up

Like Rondo pointed out, a feller could make one out of brass, and I've thought about that in the past as well but just never attempted it. The one thing I've always told myself is; if that they could do it 200+ years ago, there's no reason we can't do it today. All we have to do is teach ourselves and learn by trial and error.  :shake

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
I agree Joe, save some $ anyway you can, a few years ago I mad a nose cap for an old  TC Hawken I was piecing together from buffler horn, turned out pretty sweet!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
I like that idea, Jim! I'm going to keep that horn idea in mind just in case I might want to give that a try someday. It would certainly be a unique conversation piece for sure!  :bl th up

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
FWIW; While living in El Paso, TX, back in the 1970s,  it was not uncommon to have our Mexican neighbors bring their muzzleloaders across the border at the Bridge of The Americas and shoot in our matches, especially those held at the Franklin Mountain Gun Club, and the Membres Gun Club near Deming New Mexico.
There was this particular Caplock, in .50 cal, that I tried very hard, and very generously, to talk a Juarez Shooter out of.

It had been done very nicely with Cow Horn.
The nose cap, front sight, butt plate, side plate (glued onto metal) and even the ramrod pipes, were all done from a White and Grey-streaked Cows Horn.

This gun was pure eye candy.
Not that it was exceedingly accurate in any way, although I never shot it, or saw him shoot it more than just passingly well.
But it was certainly a killer for looks, and I really wanted that gun....I still recall that part quite well, and this thread brought that memory back. I would have "somehow" made that gun shoot, I just know it!
At one time I had a bunch of pictures that were made with an old fashioned Polaroid Camera, but before I could get them copied or digitalized, they had faded to the point of being unrecognizable.

Our old friend Captchee did some nice work in the "Custom Department" both with horn and the frets from a Guitar,
He re-dressed an old CVA for one of his friends that I remember quite well...It could be that I just like bling and a few shiny objects when inlet, with nice relief, into a stock.....especially when everything is hand-made by the builder. 

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
When did Polaroid Camers get old fashioned? :o
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
When did Polaroid Camers get old fashioned? :o

:Doh! When Noah was trying to herd Cats onto the Ark....give or take a few days.

:lol sign

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 03:15:37 AM »
Great and interesting topic. Awhile back I picked up a nos TC Hawken stock at a flea market. ( I may have mentioned it then) anyways, its turning out to be a flintenstien of sorts. Two of the pcs I didnt have for this construct was the barrel key escutcheons. Having screwed up a buffalo horn months ago, I got to thinking that may be a good material to try and it worked out well. I cut out acouple of pcs., flattened them after heating in oil, let cool and then cut and shaped to fit the factory escutcheon mortise.
As the build continued, I discovered the level of rr entry hole into the nose cap was quite abit different on the TC stock when using the cva barrel and under rib.so again I wondered around the the shop and thinking. i had recently been gifted two perfect pcs of osage, 3/8 x 3/8 with zero grain runout(possible rr candidates) and so I laid that on the barrel flat and there it was, a near perfect height for a new under rib! So that is in construction now. I have it drilled , counterbored and screwed down to the underside of the barrel.
Now Im trying to decide whether to use the original cva rr thimbles or make two out of steel sheet stock. Probably going with the latter, as that too will be new ground for me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:18:17 AM by ridjrunr »
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline garrettep3

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:18 PM »
You can add patch box to your list, although the available kits are so cheap it is easier than making your own.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »
That's a fact!  :hairy

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »
As most of you know, I've been building my retirement rifle and I thought it might be interesting to list the parts I made for this build -vs- purchased... Granted, everything used was at one time purchased, upwards of 20 years ago (less or more). I expect there are some things I forgot to list in their proper place, but it's a rough idea.

Made

1. Maple Stock (from curly maple I've had drying for close to 20 years in my workshop)
2. Trigger
3. Trigger Plate
4. Front Sight
5. Rear Sight
6. Barrel Tenons (3)
7. Toe Plate
8. Vent (Flash hole liner)

Purchased

1. Barrel (12 - 15 years ago)
2. Breech Plug (12 to 15 years ago)
3. Butt Plate (current)
4. Trigger Guard (Current)