Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cleaning/Loading Jags, stainless steel threads?  (Read 580 times)

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
Cleaning/Loading Jags, stainless steel threads?
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:54:24 PM »
I,ve always used jags with brass threads until I read of others having a jag stuck in their bore because the brass threads broke off the jag while loading or cleaning. It was enough for me to order all new jags with steel threads. I got these from TOW. Now my concern is a possible rust issue of the steel threads. I worry about this because I use the same jags on my range rod to load with and also to clean out my bores with at home using soap and water. The obvious answer is to clean and oil the threads on my jags after I am done cleaning my muzzleloaders. I guess my question is that is there anybody who sells jags with stainless steel threads? I've done some searching around but could not find any anywhere. Do they even make jags with stainless steel threads? Any information or thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Cleaning/Loading Jags, stainless steel threads?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:16:42 AM »
I have never seen anything like that.
I guess if it is that important to you, you could always remove the original stud and replace it with a stainless 10-32 or 8-32 stud.
However, I am not too familiar with Track's hardware, but the Treso jags have the studs installed pretty tight using a special machine, at least that is what Don has alluded to.  I am going to go visit them in a couple of weeks, i will be sure to ask about that.
Seems like more trouble than it is worth.
I have been shooting these silly guns for a lot of years and never had any problem with rust issues on the jag studs.  I guess if every now and again you were to give it a bit of Bore Butter or whatever, it would keep the threads lubricated well enough.
Actually, if one keeps the jag tight on the rod, the brass threads won't give you any trouble, either.  It is people who let the jag get loose that have the trouble with them breaking off.
All this is FWIW and YMMV and all that stuff.  There is no warranty, either expressed or implied.  Hah!!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:40:21 PM »
My guess is it's a rare thing to have the brass threads fail as described.  Not something I'm worried about, if I'm wrong wouldn't be the first time.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
I wish a few of mine would rust in tight!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »
OK, so I did actually stop at the new Treso digs and got a very interesting tour of the place.
As far as the stud installing machine, it is a small electric motor which turns a collett which holds the jag.  They hand start a 10-32 stud into the jag, then they fit the jag into another collett and turn on the motor which then spins the jag tight on the stud.
Seems pretty tedious to me, but that is how it is done.
I would imagine all the people who are making ramrod hardware employ a similar method.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life