Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Percussion 16 Bore Shotgun  (Read 1441 times)

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
Percussion 16 Bore Shotgun
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »
I have always found that the 16 bore shotgun in both single barrel and sxs is a good all round gun for game shooting .Loaded with a volume load of 2.1/2 drms of FFg to 1oz of No 5 shot will kill has much game has a 12 or 14 it is ideal for pheasant, partidge and grouse here in the UK.With its lightness it is an ideal gun for hide shooting for pigeon and pest control for crows, been a lot faster than a 12  and not so heavy on the shoulder especially when firing up to 100 shots in a days outing.Enclosed are a couple of images of two s/b 16 bore percussion guns.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not sercure a chicken house door

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: Percussion 16 Bore Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
Boy, they a nice! Any idea when they were made?  The 16 guage in the US is also a nice all around shotgun. Shot my first turkey with one and also rabbits and grouse. Easy on the shoulder and more than adequate for all our small game.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
Quote from: "greyhunter"
Boy, they a nice! Any idea when they were made?  The 16 guage in the US is also a nice all around shotgun. Shot my first turkey with one and also rabbits and grouse. Easy on the shoulder and more than adequate for all our small game.
They would have been made between 1835 -50 and are just a standard s/b made in Birmingham and retailed by a ironmonger or such. These guns gave me good service when I puchased them in the 1970s there are now  retired to the collection.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »
They are some eye candy for sure. I could never understand why the fell by the wayside. Ya just don't see them any more. Thanks for posting them Feltwad.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
Quote from: "Roaddog"
They are some eye candy for sure. I could never understand why the fell by the wayside. Ya just don't see them any more. Thanks for posting them Feltwad.
You will find that here in the UK the original shotgun is the most common  where in the States most go for the repro,here it is rare to see a repro in the field. Here we have more originals to choose from repros are mostly used by the pistol muzzle loaders and a few of the rifle shooters prefer the Parker-Hale
rifles
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not sercure a chicken house door

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
Feltwad,

Are those some kind of rudimentary rear sights on the top and bottom shotguns?

If so, are they used when a PRB is used or just to help point the piece?

I must say, you have one very fine collection.  :bl th up
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
You will find that a lot of original flintlock shotguns in both single and also double barreled had this type of sight on the standing breech which was mainly for  aiming .I do not think that round ball came into it
Feltwad

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
Thanks for posting this Felt Wad.  

I would love to get my hands on a fowler like one of these!

How long are the barrels?

Are (were) most of these made with a hooked breech?  

Were they entirely made of back action locks like those shown?

Does anyone know of a kit form of one of these type guns???
Thanks much, Skychief.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:24 AM »
Skychief.

These shotguns were all from the late flintlock period ,most were built with a hooked breech  on  Nocks patent,has for the barrel length then  most were 30 inches to 42 inches ,those with longer barrels most were reduced to 40 inches and less ,you can still come across some with the original length of barrrel which could be 60 plus inches.The locks on the three guns in the image are all flintlock converted too percussion with the pan and frizzen removed and the flintlock replaced with a percussion hammer. The touch hole was replaced with a drum and nipple, today here in the UK you often see guns with this principle  coming up at auction  for little money depending on the maker.
Feltwad

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
Quote from: "Feltwad"
Skychief.

These shotguns were all from the late flintlock period ,most were built with a hooked breech  on  Nocks patent,has for the barrel length then  most were 30 inches to 42 inches ,those with longer barrels most were reduced to 40 inches and less ,you can still come across some with the original length of barrrel which could be 60 plus inches.The locks on the three guns in the image are all flintlock converted too percussion with the pan and frizzen removed and the flintlock replaced with a percussion hammer. The touch hole was replaced with a drum and nipple, today here in the UK you often see guns with this principle  coming up at auction  for little money depending on the maker.
Feltwad

Hey Feltwad - is the 16 a pretty popular size to find at auction? How about larger ones in the 12-10 ga size - do you see many of them?

Thanks
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
Hey Feltwad - is the 16 a pretty popular size to find at auction? How about larger ones in the 12-10 ga size - do you see many of them?

Thanks[/quote]
There are three main sizes of percussion shotguns you find at auction ,first is the 12 gauge in both s/b and sxs , second is the 14 gauge in s/b and sxs  , and third the 16 gauge in the same . The 20 gauge and the 10 gauge  are next  with the 8, and 4 gauge just about has popular.There are also others which do come up for sale  but not too often such has the 24, 28, 9, 11,and 6 gauge . In both the flintlock and the percussion era shotguns were made in all bore sizes from the mighty 2 gauge to the small 32 gauge  and 410.
Feltwad

Offline Riley/MN

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
Oh to be over there for an auction.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Riley

If you go to the webpage of {Holts Auctioneers Of Fine Modern & Antique Guns] who have a Auction in London in March will give you some Idea of the flint and percussion arms in auction
Feltwad

Offline Riley/MN

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
Thanks Feltwad - I will check it out
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
Riley

I would like to hear what you think , it can be pricey  you will need a friendly bank manager.
Feltwad