Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Thanks to my buddy Hank in WVA  (Read 448 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Thanks to my buddy Hank in WVA
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »
My buddy Hank in WVa. came out last week for a visit....the second time he has been out here to see us.! :bl th up

Not the best time for me, insofar as my health, or my wife's health either for that matter, but you play the cards you're dealt and you do your best.
And that's exactly what we ended up doing.

We had a day or two of bad weather where Hank and I couldn't have done much even if we had wanted to, but for the most part we just hung out, enjoyed the quite, and told tall tales of our youth while we sometimes fooled around in the shop. There was several times there where I thought I better go in and see the doctor, company or not, but I managed alright without more of that nonsense.

Thanks a million for your patience Hank!

At 6:00am this morning my wife was admitted to the hospital for a right shoulder replacement.
That poor girl has really had her own ups & downs over the past few years, and at our age major surgery is something to be concerned about, but she is one tough old hen, and was moved from the Recovery Room to a private room just a couple hours ago....she seems to be doing okay and says to tell everyone hi.

Hank left around 10:00am or so, after I got back from having Jan admitted and got back home, and he is well on his way down the country by this time of evening.

Just wanted to say thanks to great guy and a wonderful understanding friend.
If the good Lord is willing, and we make it another year or two, we will have to try this again.

Big Smoke (John Shorb) left home today in California on his way to the Northwest, and had originally planned to stop by with us for awhile, but we found out last week that my wife would be going in for surgery, so we are going to have to do this another time. 

Would like to thank these wonderful folks for thinking of us.
Good luck and God Bless on your travels.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Thanks to my buddy Hank in WVA
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »
Russ, my best to you and your wife, and a speedy recovery to her, and hope you get to feeling better my friend.

That Hank is a good guy for sure! When he was here I truly enjoyed our visiting. Did he by chance tell you about the guy that skipped his fired patched ball "twice" down range to 300 yards at a 55 gallon drum, and he hit it? I hope he shared that with you, it was funny and we laughed a'lot about this. I still laugh about it to this day.

A feller was shooting one of those scoped .50 cal BMG  $6000.00 bolt action rifle's at that drum, and he couldn't hit it. My friend (Marv) and I were shooting muzzle loaders and we walked over to see what he was doing with such a powerful rifle.

He said to Marv, "I'm trying to hit that barrel out there at 300 yards."

Marv said, "well here, I'll show you how to do it." He loaded up his .50 cal Kentucky rifle. Took aim, and fired. (Now this was during a drought so the range was very dry and powdery...)

Marv's ball actually bounce twice going down range and he hit that drum! The first bounce was probably at 50 - 75 yards, and the second bounce was pretty close to the drum, but we heard the "tic" when it hit.

Anyway, long story short. Marv and I are walking back over to where we were shooting our muzzle loading rifle's, and that guy touched off a round and I swear Marv jumped three feet in the air!  :laffing  But, all in all, I guess Marve made his point.  :laffing

Russ my friend, you take care.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »
My prayers for your wife with a new shoulder. I had my left one put in around 4 years ago and it was the best thing ever.Therapy is your friend and is very important.I hope you are doing better too Russ.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Count me in for best wishes, as well.  :pray:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
I wish your wife a fast and complete recovery!
I have watched people with shoulder replacements improve with every visit when I go to physical therapy. It is good to know that a positive outcome is common.
All the Best,
Ron

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
Best wishes Russ to you and your wife! I hope you are having fair weathers out there as a mini heat wave started here yesterday and continues to Wed. Worked inside a small cook shack yesterday flipping burgers for our trap shoot and I sipped Gator Aide all day to stay upright. Glad Hank got to see you all and that he has safe travels. Take good care of your gal and yourself too!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
RussB

Best of luck to your wife with that shoulder replacement! She and you are on my Prayer List!

Keep the faith! :bow :toast
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Russ,
Sorry we couldn't put it together this time.  Would have really enjoyed seeing you and the Missus.  Well, the good Lord willing, we will do it again next time we go through.
So, the question in my mind is after three weeks or so, just how is your sweetheart doing?  Hopefully, she is starting to like and feel comfortable with her bionic body parts.
As for us, our trip was great.  The Coeur d'Alene rendezvous has moved to a new location and it is sure a step up, and that is a tough thing to do, as the previous location was pretty darn good.  Then the following weekend we went to the Moscow club's rendezvous and it was also pretty wonderful.  I think the best part of both events was getting to see so many of our old friends.  Shining times, for sure.
Coming home was a bit rugged, as we got caught up in some pretty high temps coming down the I-5 corridor.
I later found out if we would have delayed just a few more days, we could have attended a family reunion in Oregon.  That would have been fun, as I only know one person who was there.  Oh well, maybe next year.
Back to you, sure hoping that all will be well next time I am in the area.  We do need to sit down and discuss how to fix all the ills of the world.  And I sure do hope Jan mends fast and good.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
Thanks to all for the many kind remarks.
Both myself and my Wife appreciate them deeply.  :bow

A bit of a "horror story" happened last Sat. evening about 6:30pm....My wife, "Mama Bear", was getting up from the dinner table and fell!!!
OMG! scared me to death...scared everybody to death in fact!

Both my daughter and granddaughter were literally screaming, as none of us could get to her in time to stop or slow her fall....and she hit the floor hard!

(My Black Lab ran in from the back deck and didn't want anyone near her for almost a full half-minute, she actually scared my granddaughter when she growled and showed her teeth, but Jan kept saying it's ok Hope, it's okay Baby, it's okay....)

Anyway, we got her up, and called the Emergency Room, she even talked to the Nurse for a couple of minutes, got her in the car and off we went...they were actually waiting on us on arrival at the ER.

About three hours later, following several X-Rays, Scans, and God only knows how many different IV fluids, they kicked us out...they had found nothing wrong in the new surgical joint, and the "bump" on her head, which looked horrible by then, was nothing more than a egg-size bump, that came up with almost instant discoloration, lots of pink, blue, purple, yellow, and a smidgen of red...it looked horrible, but no "inside" damage was done, and no harm had come to her new shoulder.

God smiled down us again last Sat. evening, and my entire family is thankful.  :pray:

Mama Bear is a tough old Hen, always has been, but no one should have to stand up to the problems she has been faced with for the past five or six years.
About 35 or 40 years ago, when we lived in New Mexico, she got thrown from a horse and was broke up pretty bad, her arm, three fingers, and left scapula, but a month later she was back riding with her arm still in a cast.....and I do remember her little Mare did not like that cast and sling.

But now that she's old it seems there's been one major surgery right after the other, and the poor girl still manages to keep on trucking, always more worried about others than herself....I think I'm going to hang onto her as long she will keep me around.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
I think I'm going to hang onto her as long she will keep me around.

Mighty hard to keep good folks down, so let's look forward to a good loooong time my friend!  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Russ I'm glad to hear Mama is doing ok and she didn't buger up that new shoulder.That will allways be a tuchy spot.just to bump it will hert like the dickns.All the best to you and mama.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Russ,
I hope you and your wife have a much healthier, smoother year ahead!
Ron

Offline Caddo

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
Russ I wish you and the wife all the best, hope you both have a great fourth.  🍺🍺
"Make sure your right then go ahead"

Member #533
Expires 01/28/2013