Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wrought Iron knives  (Read 1146 times)

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
Wrought Iron knives
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
I was wandering throuth the Madison Grant book "The Knife in Homespun America" and was taken by how many knives were made of wrought, with no steel welded into the edge.

Any of you guys ever make a pure wrought knife? How did you heat treat and temper it?

Rick
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:31:28 AM by rickevans »
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »
Rick - yes some folks have made them, case harden them, and then sharpen from one side only so as to leave the cased side as the edge. In general WI has not got enough of a carbon content in itself to harden adequately

The "problem" with Grant's writings is he far too often uses wrought and forged interchangeably causing the confusion. Some makers "feel" that wrought iron knives were typical of the period but with literally thousands of steel trade knives readily available why? Without more definitive period proof the use of WI for knife blades in any great amounts is IMO still very questionable at best.
Some folks will also state that axes, tomahawks, etc. were made entirely of Wi, but again the proof is in the pudding so to speak and the primary documentation is outstandingly for steeled edges. One reason for the supposition may be old worn out blades that hadn't been re-steeled and just had the WI sharpened - the steel edges were most often quite narrow and the old shop records are full of references to having the edge re-steeled.
There is some period documentation referring to the use of iron blades by some traders, but in every case I've read the Indians knew the difference and did not like being taken advantage of and demanded good steel blades. Other primary documentation has smiths at various trading posts decrying the lousy steel (mostly blister) and asking for the higher quality cast or shear steel, otherwise they would not guarantee the quality of their work.

Not saying no WI blades  were made but I've yet to see good primary documentation for it's wide spread/common use - but I'm all ears.
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
Chuck, that does make some sense. To the non-steeled (ha!) person wrought and forged mean the same thing. As far as the trade goods go, I agree too. Why would anyone trade for a completely wrought (soft) tool that needed to hold an egde?  I will try and do some additional research. Thanks.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Cutler

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »
I have done a few over the years out of pure wrought iron. "Packing" the edge instead of any kind of traditonal hardening.  They have served the customers well, but do need sharpwning more often than HC Steel.