Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Casting bullets  (Read 516 times)

Offline mike

• TMA Forum Member
Casting bullets
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
I  recently traded for an 1861 Springfield to use for reenacting.  But since part of the presentation for the public is being able to tell them how it shoots I ordered some 510 gr. minies and promptly went into sticker shock.
I am hoping I can cast bullets more ecconomically.  I know that with round ball they are cast and then used.  Does the same hold true with a connical or do they need to be run through a sizing die?
Also if anyone knows of a good source of lead it would be great.
Thanks folks,
Mike
Liberty once lost is Lost Forever
John Adams

Offline msuspartan

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
You could go to ebay and get lead. You could also go to Track of the Wolf and get a Lee mold and melting it, well if you have an old cast iron small pot or dutch oven and melt it on a propane stove or a melting pot from Track too.

As a word of caution, casting is highly dangerous and burning yourself is almost normal. Watch out for ANY moisture or even bugs. They will make the lead splatter. If you know someone that does their own, learn from them. That is the best way.

Have fun.
Cheers,
Don
TMA #580
NRA Lifetime Member
NMLRA member
Conner LongRifles, Fishers, IN

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »
Casting minies is WAY different from casting roundballs. You would be doing yourself a favor to go to the North South Skirmish Assoc. website forum and talk to those folks. They are THE experts on casting and shooting minies. They could probably steer you to someplace to buy them reasonably.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »
I love casting! It's easy and fun.  I've done all kinds of balls and bullets.  Go for it Mike! You will not be sorry. Lee stuff is the best bargin out there.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
casting lead
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
I had a zouave a few years back, and bought two molds from River Rat this forum. One was for civil war style minis at 500 grs. and the other was slightly lighter. Anyway it took a few miscasts to get the lead temp right so skirt was consistent. Minis require a female and male mold combo. Once you get the hang it runs pretty easy. Given their size, you would be far better off buying the mold than buying commercial made. Looking back, I should have kept those molds and gone into running minis for sale. Spring for a Lee production pot as soon as you can, as well as a leather apron, welders gloves, face shield, and use in a well ventilated area.  For start up an electric hot plate and old cast iron fry pan will work. I have used a propane torch and large ladel for casting,when I first started out. Use yer head, protect any body parts you are fond of, incl. feet, an keep the grand kids away.  :shake
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
Cover yourself. I wear long sleeves, welders gloves, and a face shield. I hate scars and kind of like seeing. Never had an accident--yet--and want to be protected when it decides to happen.

I've used the same Lee bottom pour pot for about 25-30 years now. Lee molds are a great bargain too, if they have the mold you need.

Anyone who casts or plans to cast should know about these folks:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys.
Mike
Liberty once lost is Lost Forever
John Adams

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
If you plan on doing a lot of shooting , it certainly is worth the investment . Lee products work well for me . They cast very precise weights and dia. once you get the feel for casting . The suggestion of protective clothing is on the money . good luck .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013