Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .54 CVA Bobcat loads  (Read 1051 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: .54 CVA Bobcat loads
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:37 PM »
Quote from: "Dogbyte"

so if the fired patch looks bad, it may be an indicator of some other problem? I will take a look next time i shoot it.
Yep!  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
should i try my groupings at normal hunting range? for me it would probably be around 70 yds or so, or can i still see what im after at 25yds as long as i can identify the best groups?

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
I'd start at the 25yd mark as this range takes some of the (man/bad eyes/flinch) out of the equation. With that1:48 twist rate, i'd start with 40gr powder and work up from there. Check the patch condition with each additional increase of powder. My 54cal deer charge is 75gr-3f sighted at 75yd. With a ball that big, you don't need monster charges.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
I can only speak for myself here,.... but when I begin working up loads for a particular rifle, I start at 25 yards off a bench.
Once I'm getting one-hole groups at 25 yards, I adjust my sights to hit center of bull at 25 yards.
After my load and sights are getting one-hole groups in the bullseye at 25 yards,.... I then move out to 50-75-and 100 yards increasing my powder charge until my groups start to open up, then I back down a few grains. Checking a few fired patches as you're working up your loads, can prove invaluable.

I like hunting loads that group 2" high at 50 yards, which (on average) results in them hitting about 1"-2" low at 100 yards (both of which are well within the "kill zone" of deer sized game).    
None of my rifles have barrels as short as your Bobcat, so your mileage may likely vary from mine.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »
Buzzard is spot-on with his advice.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
this rifle doesnt have adjustable sites either. its all dovetailed. man its supposed to rain the rest of the day, i was gonna try and sling a few rb's. i probably need to clean this thing first, before i spend a lot of time on the range with it. it probably needs a good bath. i also learned there was a recall on some cva bobcats, so i gotta look up the serial numbers to make sure this one isnt one of them.

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
i'll be danged if this isnt one of the recalled barrels, serial ends with a 95.

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
well now im reading that it was in-line models only, i was going off of another thread elsewhere saying the bobcat was recalled those years.... still reading around. i hope im reading cva's website right, in line models only.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
What problem warranted the recall,.... do they say?
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
I didn't catch the specific problem,  but it caused barrel breech I believe

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
Well the Bobcat is more of a "traditional" design, so I think it's less likely to have breech problems than modern inlines.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline MedicineSoldier

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »
On the CVA website ( http://www.cva.com/terms.php ) they say

VOLUNTARY RECALL

In August 1997, CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of all In-Line rifle models with serial numbers ending in 95 or 96. If you have a CVA In-Line model with such a serial number do not use or allow anyone else to use the gun. If you have one of these rifles, call CVA immediately at 770-449-4687 for complete details and replacement barrel.

In May 1999, Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims relating to the above described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no liability for any products manufactured or sold prior to January 1, 1998.

Letter to customers from Blackpowder Products Inc. at this link.  

http://cvaguncases.com/uploads/CVA_RECALL_letter_to_end_user.pdf

The recalls appear to be for in-line models.  For info regarding models there is this

http://cvaguncases.com/Case___Information_Page.html

Medicine Soldier
I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
 – George Mason

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
recall was for the inlines  not the traditional  rifles .
 When cleaning  make sure that you clean out the bolster / flash channel real well. If you start having ignition issues , that will 99% of the time be the cause .

Make sure after cleaning you replace the barrel key the same way  each time . Not just from the same side but also  either up or down . Scratch a mark on the top flat of the key so you know that you putting it in the same way each time  .

Also a lot of times I have found that  do to the shallow drop of the stock , the front sight needs to be in the bottom of the V of the back sight at 25 yars or a person will often shoot high .
Also , If this was a used gun then probably the front sight has already been filed down for the PO.  Which maybe to low for you .

As the others said ,  pick up your patchs and learn to read what they are telling you . Not only will this help you develop a load , but it will also tell you whats going on with the rifling and your charge .
 Its not uncommon with a new or hardly used rifle for the barrel to cut patches which will effect accuracy of the load .

As ridge runner stated . Start out at 50 grains and work up in increments of 5 grains  and shooting 3 to 5 shot groups with each . As you get to the correct load the groups will get tighter . As you pass it , they will start to open up .
 Once they start to open , back down one load measurement  .  Then start working on different patch lubes . Which will also effect your accuracy to some degree .

Bob cats IMO are  for the most part very nice shooting rifles once you get then worked in .

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
Joining in late - bit I have a couple Bobcats and some similar styles in CVA and Traditions that I use for
youth shooting (14 in all I think)  Most said above was spot on.  Since the barrels are short, I use only FFF
or Pyrodex P (3F equiv) and get great results.  We only shoot 50 grains (.50 cal max) for youth program and
a .490 ball with .101 patch since we load fast and the ranges are short.  However I have played with them a
bit and they perform fairly well with a .490 ball and .015 patch with up to 70 gr FFF.  Since they are 1:48 twist
barrels they just will not do as well as a couple of longer guns I have in 1:60 and 1:66 twist.

Those I can load to 100 gr (if I am feeling frisky) and I shoot a .495 with .101 patch.  Most of the time 50 to 70 gr
FFF shoots fine for the Rondy trail walk ranges I usually shoot.  You can transpose my experience to .54 if you go
nice and easy.  If that was a.50 I would make you an offer you could not refuse - but I am a little nervous about
the recall biz - hope you can clarify that for us.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
Yeah I'm certain the recall was in-line only.

I'm glad these little guns are so highly thought of.  Isn't a 48 twist faster than a 60 other 66? Why would a slower twist shoot tighter? I'm still learning I guess.