Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .62 cal. load  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
.62 cal. load
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:47 AM »
I'm having a .62 cal Hawken built and would like to know loads other people are using and their experience with this caliber. It will have a Colerain tapered barrel 1 1/8" to 1".

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: .62 cal. load
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
I had a buddy in Alaska that had a .62 cal. rifle.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
Round balls is all I will be shooting. The barrel twist is 1:66. I was thinking of starting out with 80 grains of 2F and increasing the load by 10 grain increments. The rifle will also come with a .54 cal. barrel, I just wanted a .62. The biggest thing I will be hunting will be elk and the occasional hogzilla here in Texas.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
I wouldn't doubt if a good accurate load dials in at well over a hundred grains...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »
I'm sure it will be over 100 grains to get all the potential out of this caliber. It will be fun to work up a load once I get the rifle. I just want to see what other people are using.

Offline cayres1955

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
I shoot a .62 cal (20 bore) trade gun. When I shoot round ball I use 70 grains of FFg with a patched .600 round ball.

I have various shot loads that I use depending on the intended target. When using shot I am usually loading with Tow wadding
I am frolicsome and I am easy, good tempered and free
And I don't give a single pin me boys
what the world thinks of me (Steeleye Span-Saucy Sailor)

Member #709
Expires 5/23/2015

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
well, given my experience with the bigger bore guns, I would say you are limiting yourself on power with a .62 caliber in 1:66.
Never had one with that fast a twist, always liked them to be nice and slow, like 1:104.  Have tried 1:144 once but decided that was too slow.
So with mine, they generally dial in with a "plinking" load at around 135 grains Ffg GOEX.  I use a .610 cast ball with Ox Yoke .015 dry patching.  For hunting I do use Wonder Lube on the patch, for target, either saliva or Ol' Thunder.
The barrels were all tapered 1 1/8 to 1".
Another thing to consider is stock profile.  My rifles have all been English Sporting Rifles, which are recoil friendly, at least to me.  With a Hawken design rifle, I kinda think the big powder charges would be somewhat abusive to the shooter.  So, maybe the 1:66 is a good idea after all.  I would guess that you will get good results between 90 and 100 grains Ffg.
But, as always, you should let the rifle tell you what it wants to be shot with, rather than trying to tell the rifle what you want it to shoot.
Have fun, and welcome to the big bore club.  A great institution.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.
BigSmoke, I got that 1:66 twist off the Colerain website, but I'll check with the builder to make sure of the twist. That 135 grain load sounds fun. Well its getting late or I should say early here at work its 4:45am, I will check back tomorrow.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:22:55 PM »
OK Muddy, I am thinking that 1:72 would be the fastest you would want on a .62.  I had one made in 1:9? one time and that worked out pretty good also.  it might have been 96?  Not for sure, it's been quite a while.
Talking about rifling, I also like the lands to be narrow and the grooves to be wide, and the rifling depth to be about .006".  All along the thoughts of James Forsythe.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Hermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "Muddman"
I'm sure it will be over 100 grains to get all the potential out of this caliber. It will be fun to work up a load once I get the rifle. I just want to see what other people are using.
I think you will find it will be a good shooter with most any load over 50 gns. 2f, but the best loads will be over 100/120 gns, mine is.
But i don't think you will like the recoil with that style but plate?
Hermit

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »
I'll just have to wait and see how the recoil is on the Hawken. I have a little over a year to wait. I have a GPR in .54 and with 100 grns the recoil is not bad. I'm not as sensitive to recoil as some people. I bet the .62 shot off the bench isn't so fun, but offhand should be OK and while hunting I never notice the recoil. Anyways, does anyone shoot a .62 with the Colerain barrel at 1:66? I would be curious what hunting load you use.

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
OK Muddy, I am thinking that 1:72 would be the fastest you would want on a .62.  I had one made in 1:9? one time and that worked out pretty good also.  it might have been 96?  Not for sure, it's been quite a while.
Talking about rifling, I also like the lands to be narrow and the grooves to be wide, and the rifling depth to be about .006".  All along the thoughts of James Forsythe.

BigSmoke, I looked and most barrel makers us 1:72 for the .62 cal., its just Colerain that uses the 1:66. The builder has a lot of experience shooting a .62 cal. so I didn't even think about asking about rifle twist when I ordered the gun - I know a mistake. I still haven't emailed him, this internet service here only works at certain hours and there's no telling what hours - Middle East. Until tomorrow, thanks for the replies.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
I get a good group out of 63 gr. for target shooting and 95 gr. for hunting with my .62.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
In my 62 I shoot 80 ffg pushing a 018 pillow tick wrapped 600 ball. Very accurate
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
Quote from: "Muddman"
. That 135 grain load sounds fun.
For a masochist!!!!!!! Way beyond my recoil limit but good luck if you can stand it. OW!!!!!!!!