Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .62 cal. load  (Read 1462 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: .62 cal. load
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Geezer.
It is an English Sporting Rifle which has a very user friendly stock design.
At that 135 grain charge, it is less abusive than my Hawken style rifle in .54 cal using an 85 grain charge.
Plus, it has a very slow rate of twist, which I think also has something to do with recoil.
Ain't nothing to stand.
I will admit, the 8 bores and the 4 bores were a little more interesting with 300 and 400 grain charges, respectively.  Oofta!!!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline hilljack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
I am new to your forum...I shoot a 62 Cal English rifle with an Oregon Barrel 1-72 twist and accuracy is very good with 120 grains on 1 1/2 Swiss and not punishing at all...I built the rifle from scratch several years ago and it has played heck with whitetail and boar alike...I also agree that the Hawken will have a bit of a bite....The English were the masters of big bore big loads......I build and shoot my own rifles and it is a pure joy...Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions

YMHS
Hilljack

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
My .62 German Jaeger was built for me in 1979 by Jud Brennan. At the time I was planning a moose hunt in northern Ontario. The guy I was going with was hunting with a modern rifle and thought I was crazy for hunting with a flintlock. He said I might get a shot as far as 200 yds so when I worked up a load I came up with 175gr's 2ff behind a .610prb.

I ended up killing a bull running away and at 50yds the ball caught him on the inside of the left hind quarter and stopped just under the hide in the brisket. My .62 is my main meat gun and the load I've used over the years on deer is 110gr 2ff behind a .600prb.

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
I use 90gr of 3f.  .610 roundball. .010 patch(weird, but that's what it likes. tried .015 and .020 could get a group to save my life)   Same hole groups(and point of aim) at 25/50/75 yds.  Havent gone any heavier, since I was looking for grouping and point of aim.  and where I hunt, 75yds is a LONG shot.   It is hard on whitetails!
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Muddman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I won't have the rifle until this summer and now I have enough info to work up a load.