Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: wedge tents..1 or 2 doors??  (Read 1144 times)

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
Re: wedge tents..1 or 2 doors??
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
I have a 9x12 wedge with one door. Get two doors!!!! Last summer i purchased a fly that will sit one side over my tent pole pin. It is 13x18

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:18 AM »
I ordered a British Bell Tent (Duke of York Tent) and when they finished it they told me they made a mistake and put a second door in it which they'd sell me for the same price as a single door (a second door costs extra) I would take it.  I said no since I had and still have not documentation of this style tent with more than one door so they built me another with one door.  I still kick myself for not taking the second door.

My other tent has two doors and they are very handy with it is really hot.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
I ordered a British Bell Tent (Duke of York Tent) and when they finished it they told me they made a mistake and put a second door in it which they'd sell me for the same price as a single door (a second door costs extra) I would take it.  I said no since I had and still have not documentation of this style tent with more than one door so they built me another with one door.  I still kick myself for not taking the second door.

My other tent has two doors and they are very handy with it is really hot.

Sir Michael, I searched for months for documentation. Without a doubt, we KNOW there was one door. Kansas summer heat can be unbearable. Some of my camps are treeless. (I do several museum/school/living history events)
I pondered on it long and hard. I sewed a wedge with one door, but stumbled onto a good deal through Crescent City Sutler, and ordered a wedge with 2 doors. I have become a canvas whore now LOL.. I have tents for all occasions, but plan on using my diamond fly as my go too.
B

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Amm1851 points out a good rule, do as the event expects.  So while they may say something akin to "a pre-1790 event...," most juried events also allow you to submit a photo of your shelter if you're uncertain, and many require you do to do so if you're attending for the first time.  See what the organizers say, right? 

Now you can always check with the tent makers, although remember they are in the business of making and selling tents..., and ask for their information on the origin of their design.  Tentsmiths, for example has a bunch of both bell backed and not bell backed wedge tents, that they attribute to the 18th century.  You might get a lead on an example of a double door wedge tent from them.  They are, after all, a lot more comfortable in sweltering weather. 

Pros - can be opened to vent the air heated within, during the day.
The raised portion can serve as a tiny fly in wet weather for a couple of occupants.
If you need to expand, you can add a second such tent, butted up against the "back door" of the first, giving you twice the interior space.  A small piece of canvas, fashioned to overlap by a few inches where the tents are butted up prevents any water leakage when it rains.   

Cons - you have a back door through which somebody might gain access to your gear inside while you are absent.  A lot of wedge tents are set up so the front is readily seen but the rear portion, not so much...,
You have to be sure any and all non-historic items are concealed when you open the tent up to vent it. 
You will need two additional poles, plus lines and stakes to open it up like a fly....

NOTE, you probably will want a ten that is at least 7' tall, and really 8' tall is even better (if you're allowed) giving you enough head room to stand within the tent.  IF you have a lady in camp who is dressing, she will appreciate being able to stand while dressing.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.