Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Thompson Center question  (Read 1629 times)

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Thompson Center question
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
I was just looking at one of Russ' TC rifles and am curious about something. It's a .58 Big Boar and at the very back of the barrel on the top flat, there is a small screw that looks to be a set screw. It doesn't appear to do anything. Does anyone know it's function?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Thompson Center question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Hank, I believe that is for mounting a rear Hunter's Peep Sight. I believe (if I remember right) some guys had a small TC Peep sight mounted to their TC tang. Of course I haven't seen this application for many years, but I believe it is very similar to the Lyman's GPR peep sight set up.  :shake

There is a picture of one (EP0302) in the 1997 Dixie Gun Works catalog (yes, I seldom throw any old catalog away) and it says it's for the current TC Hawken, one hole is required to be drilled and tapped.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:42:07 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »
Hank, I believe that is for mounting a rear Hunter's Peep Sight. I believe (if I remember right) some guys had a small TC Peep sight mounted to their TC tang. Of course I haven't seen this application for many years, but I believe it is very similar to the Lyman's GPR peep sight set up.  :shake

There is a picture of one (EP0302) in the 1997 Dixie Gun Works catalog (yes, I seldom throw any old catalog away) and it says it's for the current TC Hawken, one hole is required to be drilled and tapped.

Disregard my above post. I just went down to my gun room and looked at my old TC Hawken and I see the screw you're talking about, Hank. I don't know why it's there? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sight I was talking about. Sorry... :Doh!
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
That hole is for mounting a scope base that TC used to make. It was offset a bit to the left so the hammer would clear the scope and was mounted to the barrel using that screw hole and the one for the rear sight. As I recall, the TC stock number was 9930.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
I have used the hole in the breach plug of my T/C to mount a Skinner Peep sight.  I have 2 barrels with this set up.  It works great for those of us with aging eyes.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I suspected it might have something to do with sights but I wasn't sure. I've never noticed that screw before.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
There are actually two things on the barrel I don't have a full grasp on...one is that screw hole as discussed above.
The other appears similar to a plug with a "ping" mark, on the left side of the barrel directly across from the snail located on the right side.
I will try to post a picture.

Uncle Russ..

(click on the picture to enlarge it....very poor picture, I will take it outside for a better shot.)

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
This is the screw-hole as previously discussed.

Uncle Russ...
(click on the picture to enlarge)

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
There are actually two things on the barrel I don't have a full grasp on...one is that screw hole as discussed above.
The other appears similar to a plug with a "ping" mark, on the left side of the barrel directly across from the snail located on the right side.
I will try to post a picture.

Uncle Russ..

(click on the picture to enlarge it....very poor picture, I will take it outside for a better shot.)

I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed that mark is left by the jig that holds the snail to the barrel for welding.
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
Hopefully this is a better picture of the "mysterious" plug on the tang of the .58 Big Bore barrel.

Uncle Russ...
(click for a better picture)

I think Semisane may be on to something with that...this picture is a bit more clear but certainly doesn't explain "why"!