Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

"The White Company"

<< < (3/5) > >>

Winter Hawk:
I finally got to reading The White Company.  Thank you Rob for suggesting it, I really enjoyed the read.   :hairy

The last chapter wasn't equal to the rest in my opinion; it felt like Conan-Doyle was just trying to make a quick end to it.  Otherwise it made me want to get out in the back yard with my longbow and fling some arrows!

If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know and I'll pop it in the mail to you.  I won't even hold out for your fist-born!  :laffing

-Kees-

RobD:
the middle english can be a bit daunting but a good read, and good stoke for grabbing a longbow and some feathered ash shafts.  8)

i prefer reading a real book, however i did put it here, online .... The White Company

these chapters will be of particular interest ... XIII, XVI, XXII, XXXIV

LRB:

--- Quote from: RobD on October 24, 2018, 09:16:42 PM ---prolly easiest and most secure - a single pin.

--- End quote ---

I would suspect hide glue or friction. All a war arrow would need is enough security to not fall off easily. Look up Henry the 5th and his wound. He took an arrow in the face. below the eye, 6" deep. The shaft was simply pulled free leaving the iron head inside. A surgeon had a special tool made to retrieve it, and Henry survived.

RobD:

--- Quote from: LRB on May 07, 2019, 01:08:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: RobD on October 24, 2018, 09:16:42 PM ---prolly easiest and most secure - a single pin.

--- End quote ---

I would suspect hide glue or friction. All a war arrow would need is enough security to not fall off easily. Look up Henry the 5th and his wound. He took an arrow in the face. below the eye, 6" deep. The shaft was simply pulled free leaving the iron head inside. A surgeon had a special tool made to retrieve it, and Henry survived.

--- End quote ---

for a military war arrow, i totally agree - probably fish glue, same as was used for fletching.

for hunting, roving, etc, wherever arrows are to be retrieved and reused, the heads had to be riveted.

Oldetexian:
Awesome post and great string of comments. After years of bow hunting, my should finally betrayed me. I have since stalked the wily stag with a crossbow, and in fact got a nice 5 pointer on first day of bow season this year.

But the truth is I do not like the crossbow. It is an ugly and ungainly machine that has none of the grace of a bow and needs none of the skill required either. I use my crossbow because it allows me another month to be in the woods and attempt to fill my freezer. But, I long for the days when I was fit enough to pull back a real bow.

Thanks again for a great post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version