Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Squirrel rifle  (Read 1734 times)

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Squirrel rifle
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »
Well,I guess we need room for 4 of us,Me,Gunmaker Buzzard and you Uncle Russ!

GunMaker,your right,the road ahead is way shorter than the one behind. I see Charles work,along with guy's on the ALR site,and to REALLY depress myself,the fella's in the CLA,and go to the shop with a whole new outlook,and end up with Captchee's obervation of being @ 75% happy with what I've done.

But it's the work of these guy's that keep me going,not the guy's who take $400.00 in part's and build a $200.00 gun!

Heck Charles,I'D be proud to be in front of a firing squad with that gun there! I'm not really a fan of heavy engraving,more prone to build simpler Southern gun's,but this one is OUTSTANDING! Not overly done,just the right amount tastefully done with restaint in the right area's. Great job,as usual! :hairy
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »
Charlie, Wow what beauty. Again as an artist and craftsman both. Thank you for sharing these pictures, I hope to see more when it is finished. I am curious,is there any one gun it was inspired by or a general school with you doing the overall layout of what goes where and how much?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »
I am curious,is there any one gun it was inspired by or a general school with you doing the overall layout of what goes where and how much?

well , it  started out as a attempt at a John Baum rifle ..  see rifles of Colonial America Volume 1 .
 But it morphed into something else .
 The person  who requested the build  liked the lines , small bore   and the octagon to round barrel, which is rather unusual as it’s ,  more of a European  barrel profile .

One of the other unusual things about that particular J.B rifle is that it has a long cheek piece that  tapers all the way into the  side plate mortise.

As I laid the rifle out and started shaping the blank  I didn’t like the cheek piece at all . So I called up the  customer . Had them come by and take a look .
 Turned out they agreed . So we cut the  cheek piece back  to  more along the  conventional Lancaster lines .
 This created an issue though  with the wrist  . With the cheek piece  the wrist was  more of an egg shape. Up through the side plate mortise. So in order to get rid of that , I had to reshape the mortise and oval the wrist .
 Now normally this wouldn’t be an issue . But this rifle is very thin. Literally I can  reach around the wrist with my index finger and touch the joint of my thumb . The forestock is no wider then my thumb .
  So , now the question was . Do we start all over with a new blank or  just go with it .
 Well  we ran with it .  So to help blend the transition  from the wrist to the mortises , I did the  large  diamond checkering on the wrist . Then added the  silver  pin inlays , so as to  give the illusion of more depth then there really is .
Again something that’s seen a lot more in French   fowlers  then  American long rifles

When it comes to the engraving , I was given free reign, with the exception of the rear sight .  Which the customer chose .  Kinda  sore spot for me .
Anyway .  I have seen a few Spanish  barrels of this time period .  Most carried some kind of  long running  leaf scroll  down the barrel . .  So as I started to draw the design , it came to me that if I  boxed the design . But started one off on each flat , I would end up with  not only a running  leaf scroll pattern. BUT I would also end up with a  wheat head type pattern that would alternate around the barrel .
So after laying it all out , that’s what I cut .
 Thus I stayed with a leaf pattern on all the boarder work  .

So what started out based around a American rifle , had become something a lot more European in its art work  .
 Its been one of those projects that’s been very hard not to end up going way overboard into something that’s more art then it is usable function

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »
Thanx Charlie,it's late and I briefly looked but could not find Baum in RCA1.  I will look in the am when I have more time. I don't yet trust my memorie on "schools" and such but I did think "over the pond" when I saw the wrist. Is that mostly a European traight or am I way off?
Later,ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Muleskinner

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 07:53:21 AM »
You do have skills, pilgrim.
Mule

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
Quote from: ridjrunr
Thanx Charlie,it's late and I briefly looked but could not find Baum in RCA1.  I will look in the am when I have more time. I don't yet trust my memorie on "schools" and such but I did think "over the pond" when I saw the wrist. Is that mostly a European traight or am I way off?
Later,ridjrunr

sorry Dan , i had to look it up . its in Volume 2 . Plate #86, page 380.
 the one shown is also a smooth bore of 43 cal . but i built this one  with round bottom rifling and of 36 cal .
 . The rifle I built also carries not patch box .
Again  my attempt wasn’t to copy a the J Baum rifle . But to only use its lines . As to the wrist carving . Yes its predominantly European and a lot of times seen on fowlers  .

once i have her finished up , i have a colt 1860 made in Belgian  to engrave for a fella . then i will be starting a build on an early french fowler . 50 cal , round barrel .

i will  be putting it up for sale  so as to  fund my personal build of a  long range sharps   :rotf

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
thanks for the kind words fellas , its sure been alot of work
grey hunter . thanks for the info about the   container .  i never saw one of those before
[/color]

Yes, it's an oiler for the SKS,etc rifles.  I have a couple.

That work on the gun is incredible!  I've  seen very few that compare with it.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
Ya Charlie, I looked up the Baum rifle and found it. That check rest is a bit funky, look forward to seeing the one you are building when it is finished.
Did you do the barrel turning on this or was it ordered that way special?
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
i ordered an O to R barrel with no wedding band. then i filed the profile myself

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
Captchee: would you happen to have some pictures of the transition area on the barrel. I would love to see how you did that.

How did you inlet the barrel? Is it round in the transition area... PLEASE don't tell me you inletted 8-16-round.....  

I really do have to quit looking at your builds... I can barely make fire wood and things like you do make me want to build things my eyes can't even understand.....  :bow

Speechless.........
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
A long and winding road, forgot who said that, a limey I think.  It's artist's like cap, an others that keep me going.  Have never been satisfied with results--but I'll keep at it 'til they put the pennys on me eyes.  what else can we do..........Tom
P.S. that rifle is the most useless thing I've ever seen.  Send it to me COD & I'll hide it....I can only wish.
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
How did you inlet the barrel? Is it round in the transition area... PLEASE don't tell me you inletted 8-16-round.....

AHHH ya   right at the start of the 16 flats . but within a  few inchs you can just go to round

would you happen to have some pictures of the transition area on the barrel. I would love to see how you did that.

ok . as the others can tell you , im not one for taking good pictures ./ digital cameras drive me crazy . Just about the time I think I have them figured out  they screw me .
 It seems either I have the setting to sharp   where things you cant see , suddenly look like the grand canyon  OR I have them to low and  details get left out  but anyway

Here  is photo that I took to show another person how small the forearm is . In it you can see the  cut from 8 to 16 flats .
 In the  photo , it looks like they stay wide . But in fact they  fade out to nothing

i also finished cutting the lock  this morning .  sorry i didnt take the time to  get my hood out so as to take the photo in inderect lighting .  but i think you all can get the idea

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
pathfinder maybe we'uns should form up a group & call it "wanabees".  Awful sweet work Cap.........Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »
:applaud
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 06:06:34 AM »
Quote from: "gunmaker"
pathfinder maybe we'uns should form up a group & call it "wanabees".  Awful sweet work Cap.........Tom

ahhh now gunmaker , its all takes time .
Jerry Huddleston and i were talking the other day  and i told him near the same words you been telling me . when i look at his work , compared to mine , its depressing .
  Frankly ,  Jerry’s work is the standard im working for .  while most folks only see his high end work . i can tell you his simple  guns are just as astounding in craftsmanship.
Which he tells me  has came from his  skilled work on the higher end pieces.  
 I have along ways to go  but ill keep at it