Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: GPR Lock Improvement  (Read 5573 times)

Offline JStanley

• TMA Forum Member
GPR Lock Improvement
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
Greetings to all, new to the forum but not to muzzleloading.  I shoot a .50 GPR flinter and have been working on tweaking its performance for a while.  Polishing internals, etc.  Recently saw a reference on another traditional forum to some posts that are supposed to be here that discuss improvements that can be made to the GPR lock.  Always in the learning mode but haven't been able to locate those posts here.  Anyone know where I might locate these?

Thanks in advance!

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: GPR Lock Improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:28:54 PM »
JStanley welcome to our TMA forum.  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
i don't remember seeing a thread specific to "tuning" a GPR lock, but i've had Many of 'em over the decades.  as you may know, the lyman GPR is an investarms product (same as DGW and cabelas) and imho it's about the best of the offshore production trad ml's.

if you've taken the lock completely apart, cleaned it out, polished only the working movements, stuck it all back together with some form of light lubricant, that's about it.  i would also check the lock mortise, to make sure the cock isn't in any way touching the stock during it's travel to the hammer steel.

these box-stock GPR flint locks are typically fast and reliable right outta the box.  you'll find some threads in this forum on a pair of hawken GPR and DGW kits i assembled, along with videos - see how fast she fires, and that's with 3f in the tube AND pan!  :)

Offline JStanley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:05:41 AM »
I was considering the L&R RPL lock to improve performance but maybe I'll just save the $$ for more English flints. Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to enjoying the wealth of this forum.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
fwiw, the L&R rpl lock isn't exactly a "drop in fit" either.  yep, save yer money and put it towards more good flints, or perhaps a nice custom flinter somewhere down the road :wave

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
The GPR by Lyman / Investarms is, IMHO, one of the better factory guns being offered today.
Right outta the box, they shoot exceptionally well, and when it comes to lock-speed, and given a fair comparison, there just ain't no fleas on that dog.

One can spend a lot of money and only hope they get a rifle as well built, as accurate, and as durable as the GPR.

J. Stanley, Welcome to the TMA forum, glad you've found us. :lt th

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum, JStanley.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Quote from: "JStanley"
I was considering the L&R RPL lock to improve performance but maybe I'll just save the $$ for more English flints. Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to enjoying the wealth of this forum.

A wise move JStanley! I also considered the L&R Replacement Lock for my GPR Flintlock, then I asked myself,,, just what would I gain other then a traditional style mainspring?

Well,,, truth be known I'd gain a traditional style mainspring that is as hidden from view as much as the modern "coil" type mainspring that comes with the original GPR Lock... Hardly worth spending the money for that. I agree, the money is better spent on flints and powder.  :lt th
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I believe we've talked on another forum, but can't remember which one. This forum is the best and some of the most helpful members you can find anywhere.

I also just bought a GPR LH flintlock. I had one in the past and was disappointed in the lock. I couldn't hold powder in the pan during hunting and I always had more of a delayed ignition than I thought I should have. I wanted to change the lock, but being a LH lock it would have taken quite a bit of wood work to get it to fit. Something I have no talent for.

I have my fingers crossed that the lock on the gun being shipped to me is better. I'm determined to get it working this time. Good luck with yours.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
the gpr/investarms flint locks are typically good-to-go outta the box, but can be tweaked if need be without much undue stress.  pay careful attention to the sweep of the cock, that it doesn't make contact with the stock.

Offline JStanley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
Quote from: "Muley"
Welcome to the forum. I believe we've talked on another forum, but can't remember which one. This forum is the best and some of the most helpful members you can find anywhere.

I also just bought a GPR LH flintlock. I had one in the past and was disappointed in the lock. I couldn't hold powder in the pan during hunting and I always had more of a delayed ignition than I thought I should have. I wanted to change the lock, but being a LH lock it would have taken quite a bit of wood work to get it to fit. Something I have no talent for.

I have my fingers crossed that the lock on the gun being shipped to me is better. I'm determined to get it working this time. Good luck with yours.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  Muley, you are spot on - I found my way here from a forum with a more modern approach, shall we say  :bl th up

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
I'll leave it to the expert builders on this forum to answer that one.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
JS - can you post good pics of the pan and touch hole?

Offline JStanley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:13:02 PM »
Sure can.  I'll do it this evening when I get in from work - thanks!

Offline JStanley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
Here is the touch hole on my GPR. I've heard others say their GPR had the same problem.