Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Started My Retirement Flintlock Rifle Build This Morning  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Started My Retirement Flintlock Rifle Build This Morning
« on: April 28, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
This morning I cut out my curly maple stock blank from a slab of maple I've been storing for probably close to 12 years - maybe more? This slab has always been earmarked for the purpose of when I retired - I planned to build myself a curly maple full stock flintlock, of no one particular school of thought.

It will have a 7/8 x 36 inch Green Mtn Brl x .45 caliber / with flared tang, and I'll use the L&R Classic Flintlock. I like that lock. The butt plate I'm still not sure on with what I'll go with, although I do like the looks of some of those York County butt plates.

It's not a build I'm going to rush. It's just a relaxing pass time I enjoy, so I'll see where it leads me once I get deeper into this build. There's lots of curl in this maple! I don't know if the pictures below does the "curly Maple" justice - but there's a lot!

I'll make periodical posts as this build progresses. I'll say up front, I'm in no big hurry to get it done.  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Started My Retirement Flintlock Rifle Build This Morning
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »
The middle picture shows some mighty nice curl.  :hairy

Sounds like a fun project.  :applaud :toast :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
It's pretty much like that through and through Rondo. It's kinda tough to see with my picture taking - but it's there. Ought to make it fun drilling for a ramrod when the time comes, but it's doable.  :bl th up

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
Beaucoup curl in there. Should be stunning. :applaud
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 07:26:38 PM »
Beaucoup curl in there. Should be stunning. :applaud

I hope I can do it justice. :pray:

I haven't chiseled out a barrel channel for some time - but I got it started, and man is there curl in that hunk of maple. :bl th up

I've allowed enough in the blank to get upwards of 4+ inch of drop, but I think I'll bring 'er in at around 3-5/8,,, maybe 3-7/8 inches. But I'm a ways from that.  :shake 

Online Hank in WV

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »
I'd put the drop the same as my mostest favorite rifle. :)
Hank in WV
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
Awesome Joe! Not only alot of curl but it looks tight as well.
Looking forward to your updates.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:12 PM »
I'd put the drop the same as my mostest favorite rifle. :)

That would be the smart thing to do for sure, Hank... However, my .54 half stock Plains rifle I built 10 years or so ago has a 4 inch drop and it's the most accurate 25 and 50 yard rifle I ever built...

It comes right up to the shoulder and at 25 yards and you'll hit 10's and X's all day long (or at least 'till you get worn out lifting that 10-1/2 pounds...) Then at 50 yards you just aim what you perceive to be center X, and just minutely shade ever so little high and you can live in the 10 Ring all day long,,, I kid you not!

The other thing is that the front sight is 5/32nds off the top flat - while the rear sight is 1/4 inch off the top flat, so it don't take long to get heat mirage with those 90 grain loads of 2fg. But it's truly the most accurate muzzle loading rifle I ever built, but I have to think 5 shot matches before this Plains Rifle gets about a 10 minute break to cool down on a summer day.

Now ol' Candle Snuffer comes in with a 3 inch drop and 1/4" tall sights - but being a .45 and shooting 55 grains of 3fg - I have never found heat mirage to be an issue with ol' Snuffer...

So I'm a thinking since from the top of my shoulder to the center of my eye measures 7-1/8th inches, perhaps a 3-9/16" drop (make it 3-5/8" drop) should play in about right.

I'm going to have to wrestle with this a'while.  :shake

Oh as a side note; measuring from the top of the shoulder to the center of one's eye as they stand straight - I have found puts them on a better "shoulder" sight plane... You just divide that measurement by 2 as I did above.  It actually does work; top of shoulder to center of eye measures 7-1/8th inches = 3-9/16 drop.

:shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »
Awesome Joe! Not only alot of curl but it looks tight as well.
Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks ridjrunr, that curl be tight!  :bl th up I'll post updates on the build - heck, you guys might see something I'm a missing as its been a'while since I built a muzzle loading rifle.  :shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
Here's a helpful tip;

Note: Be sure your stock blank is squared...

Notice on the front of the stock blank the pencil mark for where the bottom of the barrel will set in once that area is removed / now notice the cuts (made by my circular saw) running up the channel. Those cuts are only as deep as the top 5 Flats of the octagons...

Doing this will aid you in chiseling out the channel to the top of the 3 lower barrel flats... Once those "saw blade" cuts disappear as you work your way up the barrel channel taking out wood, and you will know you are deep enough in this area... Then you can move onto shaping the bottom of the barrel channel where those 3 octagon flats set into the stock.

I hope this tip makes sense to all who see it. Study the two pictures and you'll get the idea.  :shake

Online Hank in WV

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Joe, it would make it easier yet if before you make those cuts, draw lines representing the bottom flat and cut them before cutting the sides. Then remove the wood as you normally would. I hope I'm making sense also.
Hank in WV

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »
Ok, the barrel channel is in, with the next step to fit the barrel to the channel, and then fit the breech plug to the barrel. After that - fit barrel with breech plug to the stock.

Joe, it would make it easier yet if before you make those cuts, draw lines representing the bottom flat and cut them before cutting the sides. Then remove the wood as you normally would. I hope I'm making sense also.

Not a bad idea Hank. I guess I'm just so use to doing it with the chisels, I've never thought about it.  :Doh!  :shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
No pictures today - Just an update.

I have the barrel channel completed and am now working on in-letting the breech plug tang. Once I have this done I'll post another picture along with my projected drop (which early measurements are showing I could go 3-3/4" if I chose to.  I'll have to decide on that or 3-5/8"... Trigger pull will be 13-5/8 inches (though I am wrestling with maybe 13-1/2" if I go with the 3-3/4" drop...  :shake

Online Hank in WV

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »
I never like to go too long on my LOP so that I can shoot comfortably in the winter. I think it's easier to adapt to a sort LOP than a long one.
Hank in WV

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
I never like to go too long on my LOP so that I can shoot comfortably in the winter. I think it's easier to adapt to a sort LOP than a long one.

That is exactly right Hank. My normal pull is 14-1/4 inches, so with every ML I've built I've shorten that LOP to 13-5/8 inches, which leaves me plenty of room for hunting clothes.

Overall I think a person is better off with a shorter pull, and not because of the late hunting seasons, but I've always felt most of us shoot more targets with our ML's then the shots we take hunting - so just might as well go with the shorter trigger pull, and get use to your rifle with it as you target shoot during good weather, then you're always ready for the hunt.

However, I leave that up to a person's personal choice of what they want. Twice I've built a ML for a friend of mine and his trigger pull was real close to 16 inches,,, so we went 15-1/2 inches to allow for hunting clothes... He actually told me he feels that pull is more comfortable for him. Also I might mention, his drop was 4-1/2 inches. Ol' Stan is a very tall person.