Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: DGW Hawken flint kit assembly  (Read 1455 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
DGW Hawken flint kit assembly
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:36:56 AM »
well, the DGW Hawken caplock was a fun exercise, but caplocks have proven not to be my choice for an ml so i sold it off to a good home in california.  ordered and received the .50 flint version yesterday morning and spent a few hours rasping and sanding down the stock to meet the brass furniture i screwed into it.  i don't spend any particular time on the brass, just clean up the flashing if any, and if it gets in the way of files and abrasives it'll get buffed around a bit.  after both coarse and fine rasping, i got at the wood with 60, 150 and 220 grit, followed by a 0000 steel wool buffing.  'tween sandings i raised the grain with a paper towel saturated in naphtha (lighter fluid).  i buffed, stained and clear coated the ramrod, now the walnut stock's ready for staining with a first coat of LMF lancaster maple, then deepening with LMF walnut.  whilst the stain will be curing, i'll see about pulling off the patent breech plug, cleaning it all out and then screwing it back in with anti-seize lube.  

you can also see in the pic below that i've once again replaced the notch 'n' blade sights with the GPR peep set.

i don't like patent breech plugs, wish they'd not do that, just a pain to deal with for cleaning out fouling whilst shooting and then the final clean up.

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
Re: DGW Hawken flint kit assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
A good thing about this gun is you can easily remove the barrel after shooting and stick the breech end in a bucket of hot water. Then pump out that nasty crud with a good swab on the end of your stainless range rod. That pretty much makes the only bad point with the patented breech is getting it dry before shooting. It has been an effective system for years, IMHO.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
yep, the beauty of half stocks with barrel wedges is fast removal.  i'm getting to really like that.  i wish there were better commercial choices for a good half stock with a longer barrel than the investarms offerings.  

anyhoo, back to the assembly.  after putting a witness mark across the barrel and patent breech, i pulled the breech plug.  it was relatively easy - nothing like an 18" rcorp reed flat jawed wrench for pulling breach plugs - and *mandatory* for me with new guns.  look at all that crap in the chamber and breech tunnel, yikes!  cleaned it all out with WD40 and and patches - with the plug out, swabbing can be done safely from the barrel's rear.  put 'er all back together with anti-seize on the breech and flash hole sleeve.  gave the stock a good coat of LMF "walnut" stain (which has a pleasing amount of red in it) and then it's first coat of wipe-on clear.  

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:49 AM »
all done, that was relatively easy.  finished up with a rubbed in coat of johnson's paste wax.  feels good in the hand.  ready to rumble.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:13 AM »
:hairy
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
Nicely done.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:47:01 AM »
fwiw, i intentionally did not flare in the lock plate relief found on both sides of the wrist.  i just like that beefy kinda look.

had problems with the hammer steel sparking - adjusted the super sharp english flint to no avail.  thought i had polished the hammer's face well, but went at it again and brought it up to a near mirror gloss ... wow, what a difference!  literally a shower of sparks.  i'm liking this rifle even mo' bettah now!

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
click image below for flintlock firing sequence.

each frame lasts 2 seconds, total video time is 28 seconds.

total real time is just about one second.

look at the lock, then when the smoke clears look at the muzzle, then look what emanates out the barrel.  8)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
Cool video!!!!!!!!  :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
Quote from: "Keb"
That's what the breech looked like on a new gun? Must be really humid over Italy way I reckon.

yup, brandy new and fulla crud.  whooda thunk.  THIS is why i won't have an ml that i can't pull the breech plug.  :rotf  :rotf  :toast  :peace
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing that with us. Ya did a nice job and a dang good lookn rifle ta boot. :rt th
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »
Awesome video.  :bl th up
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
Neat video! Thanks for showing
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21