Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The "NEW" Liver Eatin Johnson Rifle by October Country.  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
The "NEW" Liver Eatin Johnson Rifle by October Country.
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
Don't know anything at all about this "new" rifle from October Country over in Idaho, but one thing is for certain, it would appear to be a most welcome addition for those who don't, or for some reason can't, build their own!

Like other "Hawken" rifles of today it bears a Hawken resemblance and has Hawken-Like features. I don't know the cost, but I would imagine it to be somewhere on the order of a semi-custom built by one of our own builders.

Here is a brief description....."The barrels are from Green Mountain, one-inch wide, and available in .50, .54, or .58 caliber, all with a rate of twist at one turn in 70 inches with a groove depth of .011.
The Hawken percussion lock from L&R is used, and barrels are fitted with a hooked patent breech. The barrel, lock, and triggers are browned and the forearm of the stock on the deluxe version is “capped” with a poured pewter nose cap. Other furniture is made of German silver.

Here is the entire article from Mike Nesbitt as seen on Facebook...
 New October Country rifle offers Hawken-like features | TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag – The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

Since I need to pay the Weaving Welshman a visit we will likely put a short October Country stop on the agenda for things to do that same day.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: The "NEW" Liver Eatin Johnson Rifle by October Country.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
Russ,
As a matter of fact, I happen to own that very same rifle that Nesbitt wrote about.  It's a good rifle.  Interesting enough, I went to a shoot with it in February of this year.  Hadn't popped a cap in months and months.  Really hadn't taken the time to develop a load or even adjust the sights.  Figured that I would try 85 grains of Ffg GOEX, .530 ball and .015 patches lubed with saliva.  Of course, as per other discussions, I was using RWS caps, out of a metal can.  As a matter of fact, the GOEX came out of a metal can as well.
Long story short, darned if I didn't win the match.  It's a pretty good shooter.
Overall impressions of the rifle are that it does feel a wee bit clubby and nose heavy, but it holds mighty steady.  With the Green Mountain premium barrel, it is a good shooter.  The L & R lock is quick and positive.  The metal surfaces are all browned, and it is a very even job.  Nice piece of maple.  I don't think it is quite as good as claimed, but it is a pretty piece of firewood.  The triggers are crisp.  Unset they are a bit much, but set is about 2 pounds, I would guess.
I think the MSRP is right about $1,595.00 plus shipping and tax where applicable.
I don't believe the rifle is a reproduction of any particular style, just a half stock, plains style rifle.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
Well, the one in the article is sure nice to look at...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
Well, that is a nice rifle -
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline Dakotas Dad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
Saw one in person last spring. very nice. I agree it's not any particular pattern, but is a very nice rifle none the less. I had just bought a Rocky Mountain Hawken by Pedersoli, or I might have considered it.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »
DD,
I saw that Rocky Mtn Hawken at Pedersoli's booth at the SHOT Show several years ago and was mightily impressed with it.  Figured it might make a good rifle to have one of these days.  How about starting another thread and telling us about it.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
I want one! :cry:
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247