Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Powder horn spouts  (Read 1906 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Powder horn spouts
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »
What is your favorite powder horn spout size?
I prefer a 3/8" hole in the spouts of my powder horns,.... this size doesn't take long to fill a 70-100+ grain powder measure, and since all of my horns get refilled (with powder) from the spout-end, 3/8" seems to work good for me.  :bl th up

An old original horn I have, has about a 1/4" hole in the spout, but it's a "small-to-medium size" horn, and I think it was probably originally used with a small caliber rifle of maybe .32-.40 caliber,.... but it too must be filled from the spout end.

Your thoughts and preferences are appreciated.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
Re: Powder horn spouts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:38:22 AM »
I agree with you regarding the hole size.  3/8" works well for me for the larger bores 45 caliber and up.  My two day horns for small game hunting have the 1/4" size hole, and they fill the smaller measures just fine.  Filling thru the spout has not been a problem for me, I have a small brass funnel that I use on both sized hole horns.  I just have to pour the powder slowly.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:31:24 AM »
I have always drilled a 5/16 size hole in the tip.  Never had any complaints from the customers.
Earl Cureton drilled a 1/4" hole in his horns, but I changed to 5/16 once I started making his style horns.
On the horns that had the brass pour spout by Treso, it did have a 3/8" hole and Ffg poured like water out of it.
I always used fiddle pegs for stoppers during the last 10 years I made horns and I am not sure there was something in the company's selection that would have worked well for a 3/8 hole.  Maybe a cello peg or a bass peg???  Don't know.

John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »
I have always drilled a 5/16 size hole in the tip.  Never had any complaints from the customers.
Earl Cureton drilled a 1/4" hole in his horns, but I changed to 5/16 once I started making his style horns.
On the horns that had the brass pour spout by Treso, it did have a 3/8" hole and Ffg poured like water out of it.
I always used fiddle pegs for stoppers during the last 10 years I made horns and I am not sure there was something in the company's selection that would have worked well for a 3/8 hole.  Maybe a cello peg or a bass peg???  Don't know.

John (Bigsmoke)

I have a wood lath, so turning a stopper isn't a problem,.... I never thought about checking out the other "pegs" you mentioned.  :bl th up
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
I drill a 1/4" hole in the horn then use a tapered reamer to flare the hole a bit , that allows for me to turn a tapered plug with a nice snug seal.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
I drill a 1/4" hole in the horn then use a tapered reamer to flare the hole a bit , that allows for me to turn a tapered plug with a nice snug seal.

That is indeed the proper way to get the best seal,.... although I'm not sure the holes in powder horns made 200-300 years ago, were "tapered". (the old horn I have, doesn't have a tapered hole)
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »

That is indeed the proper way to get the best seal,.... although I'm not sure the holes in powder horns made 200-300 years ago, were "tapered". (the old horn I have, doesn't have a tapered hole)

Now im going to want to check my old horns. Curiosity has me trapped :laffing
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 01:43:04 PM »
When I make a horn (or Antler) for powder I use;

4fg Priming Horn & Antler - 3/16
3fg Horns - 5/16
2fg Horns - 11/32
1fg Horn - 11/32 & 3/8

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 02:26:01 PM »

John (Bigsmoke)

I have a wood lath, so turning a stopper isn't a problem,.... I never thought about checking out the other "pegs" you mentioned.  :bl th up

Well, sir, for the first maybe 10 years that I was making horns, I made thousands of stopper pegs.  Do you realize how much of a PITA that got to be?  When the concept of fiddle pegs kicked me in the head, man, I accepted it wholeheartedly.  And I never looked back.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life