Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Priming Antler  (Read 1865 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Priming Antler
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
Kinda neat how you can use your drill press, files, and sandpaper to turn out plugs.

Oh dang, now I'm going to have to buy me a drill press!  :lol sign  And where, in my overcrowded shop, am I going to set that up? :Doh! :o

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Russ.

I have one those 3 grain brass plunger primers in my Range Box - however I don't take my Range Box with me to the Range anymore. In fact, the only place I ever take my Range Box is to Rendezvous and keep it in my tent until I need to get it out to clean my muzzle loaders back in camp after the shoots.

For many years now I've found it so much easier to grab my (rifle, shooting bag, and horn) and off to the Range I go... I also take along a little leather bag with, cleaner, oil, patches & brushes, q-tips, and pipe cleaners in it - to give my muzzle loader(s) a quick Range cleaning before heading back home where they get the full cleaning experience... I only live about 1- 1/2 miles from my local Range.

Anyway, I do find the little priming horns handy especially if you have powder horns that aren't very friendly to prime with - such as some that I own.

Have fun with it Russ and enjoy the build. And welcome to the tinkering club! :laffing  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
Kinda neat how you can use your drill press, files, and sandpaper to turn out plugs.

Oh dang, now I'm going to have to buy me a drill press!  :lol sign  And where, in my overcrowded shop, am I going to set that up? :Doh! :o

~Kees~

Kees, there's always a way to make room for tools.....

Online PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »

I'm a little late to the party, Joe (sorry) - but think you did right by that hunk of antler.    .  :hairy

My Son has dozens of antlers in his basement from the smaller deer he's taken over the years (he has the giants taxidermied), so maybe I can get my paws on a few of the smaller/thinner antlers, and make some priming horns with brass push spouts.

(HMmmmmm)   8)

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »

I'm a little late to the party, Joe (sorry) - but think you did right by that hunk of antler.    .  :hairy

My Son has dozens of antlers in his basement from the smaller deer he's taken over the years (he has the giants taxidermied), so maybe I can get my paws on a few of the smaller/thinner antlers, and make some priming horns with brass push spouts.

(HMmmmmm)   8)

That sure sounds like a winner. I've tested this one twice now with two outings, and I like it. It rides nice in the shooting bag.  :bl th up

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
I had one of the brass priming do-goodies with the push spout when I was in Ketchikan.  With all the rain there, the FFFFg in it turned to slush, the insides corroded and it ended up in the trash.  It was a less than impressive performance.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline WonkoTheSane

• TMA Member: #784
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »

:hairy

Got here a bit late, but that is really nice. 
TMA Member #784
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - J. Morrison

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »

:hairy

Got here a bit late, but that is really nice.

Thank you WTS.  :shake

Let's see,,, I've had it out 4 times now field testing it at our local Range and I've got no complaints. I'll have to wait for awhile now before I can get out and use it some more. Winter decided to return to NW Nebraska... I was perfectly happy with nice weather... :)

Oh by the way, I'm using it without the leather lanyard - I'm just taking it in and out of my shooting bag to prime.