Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: TMA Facebook - boy oh boy
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »
Makes a feller wonder how many volumes could be filled with all the misguided information floating around on Facebook.

I expect those nonsense Nancy that spew the wrong info have been setting back laughing their butt's off for years...   
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:14 PM »
Makes a feller wonder how many volumes could be filled with all the misguided information floating around on Facebook.

I expect those nonsense Nancy that spew the wrong info have been setting back laughing their butt's off for years...

Or, is it a situation of not knowing that they don't know that they don't know?  I'd be willing to bet that is the situation.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »

Or, is it a situation of not knowing that they don't know that they don't know?  I'd be willing to bet that is the situation.

I'm more liable to think that way too, John. They probably are ignorant of the proper care and feeding of a black powder firearm. It may be that they aren't just being a horse's rear. But that they didn't learn "the right way" and are just passing along what they know. It just happens to be incorrect.

Still doesn't mean that the TMA won't be called to the carpet if some poor, misguided chap blows his drum through the head of the fellow standing next to him.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
My view of Facebook is;

Those who came up with Facebook had every intention of pulling everyone they possibly could away from all the public media bases, (Forms, open Blogs, and whatever the others may be or were) without any regard to the content material (good or bad) being posted on Facebook user posts...

So, in this sue happy world - who's responsible for the wrong information? Facebook, the Forum supporting Facebook, the Facebook user? Well, there's a very good chance it could be ruled (if it ever happened - the latter two) because they (Facebook) have the bucks to buy the Attorneys needed to sell their innocence of any incident that may happen in the future.

I could go on but I think we all get the idea... The little guy is the one that's going to get the blame, and have to pay the piper... Not Facebook...

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 11:35:24 PM »
Judicious locking of threads. Perhaps adding to the rules there about "no internet gunsmithing". Some of those goobers are crazy.
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 04:58:50 PM »
I am not defending any of those posts on facebook, but we have had those same self-proclaimed experts ahow up in the forums here. When that happened, they were corrected and "shone the light". I do what I can, and appreciate others here that try to correct those "experts". Rolling our eyes and saying "Oh look, another one" doesn't really serve anyone, or our greater good...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2020, 06:28:22 PM »
Unfortunately, the problem with Facebook is that when the correct answer or alternative is give to one's question, it gets buried with the same incorrect answer - over and over... No one can patrol such a media base like that with all the post made there that continue on giving out uneducated answers to (in this case we speak of) the weekend know it all gunsmith that has no idea what they're talking about... The person seeking information should be given correct information from the get go, and not; poor, false, misleading, and dangerous information... It's much easier and safer to get the correct response from here at the TMA Forum.  :shake

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
moot point
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Woodburner

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
I'm new here. I think this is my second post.Years ago I got on FB and enjoyed renewing old acquaintances for a time. Due to FB's constant restrictions, changes in procedure, etc., I removed myself from their hassles and for the last 13 years or so have lived comfortably without them. Now, I'm hearing they're into censorship and politics. FWIW I just don't do FB. However, I'm willing to pay to learn from y'all.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
Welcome Woodburner  :shake

Nice to see you here. Poke around and jump in where you like. This Forum is the place to be for good straight talk and information sharing.  :shake 

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
I'm new here. I think this is my second post.Years ago I got on FB and enjoyed renewing old acquaintances for a time. Due to FB's constant restrictions, changes in procedure, etc., I removed myself from their hassles and for the last 13 years or so have lived comfortably without them. Now, I'm hearing they're into censorship and politics. FWIW I just don't do FB. However, I'm willing to pay to learn from y'all.
Welcome Woodburner!
I do like that name, has a neat dull ring to it, if ya know what I mean.
Jump in wherever you like.
You got questions, we got answers. The right answer, not something we read somewhere else or picked up in another conversation.
Glad to have ya!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »

Access to our forum is FREE,.... when someone chooses to contribute to the TMA with a $15.00 TMA Membership, that money either goes back to our TMA contributing members, and/or towards those qualifying for our youth grants.

Welcome to the TMA.  :shake 
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Lynn Burman

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #823 Expiration Dare, 2/8/2020
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
so you want to shut down the face book (notice i took the time to write it out instead of using a bunch of letters for the non computer folks to try to figure out ) page all well and good? the first problem i see is our site! nowhere on the web have i found a site as difficult to navigate as this one it needs help, and no i don't have the skill to fix it,sorry. second problem is who determines who is the be all answer person there are thousands of ways to fix, make, adjust.......etc. any thing. after 25+ years of building  guns and 21yrs of machining parts in a factory (most of which were for 60 year old + machines )  i'm still learning.

my second question is if your making this change shouldn't it be a decision of the paying membership? if the members have no say then why are we members? like the cancelling of the postal matches? what are we members for?

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
... the first problem i see is our site! nowhere on the web have i found a site as difficult to navigate as this one it needs help, and no i don't have the skill to fix it,sorry.

second problem is who determines who is the be all answer person there are thousands of ways to fix, make, adjust.......etc. any thing. after 25+ years of building  guns and 21yrs of machining parts in a factory (most of which were for 60 year old + machines )  i'm still learning. ...

FIRST - precisely and exactly what is it about forum navigation that you in particular find difficult?

SECOND - that would be ME.

i await yer answers, sir.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 09:18:10 AM »

my second question is if your making this change shouldn't it be a decision of the paying membership? if the members have no say then why are we members? like the cancelling of the postal matches? what are we members for?

Lynn, the postal matches have been re'opened...  :shake