Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Why is there only one builder of the JJ Henry trade rifles.  (Read 1339 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
Why is there only one builder of the JJ Henry trade rifles.
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
I had a hankering for one of these guns to go with my move to NM - as such I called/emailed TVM about building one

Basically they said the pattern of the gun would not be a problem (as it is very similiar to their Late Lancaster type or Leman)- nor would the furniture be a problem. Except the patch box - this is where it becomes a problem and I am a little perturbed by the reply I got from the guy at TVM. I am paraphrasing here "I don't have that type of patch box but I can send you a patch box kit and you can cut it out yourself." And I am assuming inlet the thing too.   :evil: What the? If I could cut out and inlet a patch box myself why in the world would I be calling a gun builder?
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Why is there only one builder of the JJ Henry trade rifl
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
Keith,
When JP Riflestocks was in business, they made a pretty sweet JJ Henry rifle.  I had one for a few years up in CdA as a matter of fact.  They sold the business but the fellow who bought it never got off the dime and continued with anything.  Too bad.
Not sure what to say about the response you got from TVM.  That don't sound like them. Hmmmmm...

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Adam Wetherington

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »
Which TVM was it? There's two companies with that acronym. I agree with Bigsmoke, my dealings with the Avances at TVM have never resulted in a response like that.

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:04 AM »
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading - Matt and Toni Avance

Figured it would cost a little more than their standard issue - because I specified a different lock, wanted checkering at the wrist, and a different patch box.  They advertise "custom carving and engraving"  so why would cutting out and in letting a custom patch box be so difficult they would not take it on?

Answers only TVM can give of course.  Just taken aback by that.    I have found a couple guns online already made but I wanted a left handed lock.

Not the first bad experience I had with  TVM (course the first was under the flag of Jack Garner) First one was, when in 1989 I ordered a "Grand Rifle" because it cost $1000 and they were only gonna make 1000 rifles.  Which was a huge chunk of change for a SrA in the USAF then - and they spelled my name wrong on the gun.  I see the "new TVM" offers that gun too.
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Keith,
What did they write, Kickman instead of Kickam? if I remember right.  Did they ever do anything to right that wrong?  I don't recall hearing that they did.

"I see the "new TVM" offers that gun too."

Probably haven't sold 1,000 of them yet.  Slow way to make a million $$$.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
John

The engraved K Hickman instead of K Hickam and no they never did make it right.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
That doesn't sound usual for TVM.  Perhaps there was a miscommunication or you were misunderstood.  Did you ask them to cut and build a patchbox to your design?  You could also search and obtain a suitable patchbox and ship it to TVM for them to use.   My experience has been that TVM will go the extra mile and believe me I've tested them more than once.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
Hanshi - The patch box I wanted (including pics) is an exact replica of the one that graces a Henry rifle - it is a three piece patch box - but it is certainly doable for them if they would try, I would think.  I searched every website and catalog I can find - it is not available commercially.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Before I make my comment, I have to say while I have seen and handles TVM's work, I have never dealt with them.

From the little bit of info you posted, It's possible tyhat the extra time used in doing your special PB could be used more profitably in making 2 of their standard PBs.

Also, TVM is a SEMI-custom shop. They fill the void between an off-the-rack gun and a true custom builder (like Mike Brooks or Clay Smith, for example). From what you say, they aren't building you a rifle, they are modifying one they already make.

My suggestion is to go to the JJ Henry guys or find a true custom builder that specializes in 19th century guns.

Mario

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
Mario - Already contacted Larry Walker (JJ Henry Artificers) no go - does not make a left handed gun (but in his defense neither did JJ Henry)

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
Then I guess a custom builder is your last option.

Mario

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
Or I can just try to knock elk down with my 50 Virginia. :horse

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Quote from: "KHickam"
Or I can just try to knock elk down with my 50 Virginia. :horse

It's been done. Look at Lewis & Clarks' guys.Maybe not ideal, but probably doable.

Or have it freshed out to .54...

Mario

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
Its a pretty lightweight swamped barrel - not sure it could be taken out to 54 cal

Offline trg

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
" and they spelled my name wrong on the gun."
 Not TVM!....I suspect it is you who misspells your name :happy