Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: black powder brands  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: black powder brands
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
Quote from: "SAWMA"
Forgot to say that when i did purchase my Goex powder this last time, it came in one pound plastic containers. Thats a first for me, seemed a little cheap!  Plastic and Muzzleloaders. :-O

Oh my goodness.  The past meets the present.  I remember when Elephant changed over from metal cans to plastic one.  I also thought it looked a bit tacky!!

Oh well, save your old cans and repackage them out of the plastics.  Nobody will ever know.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
Quote from: "SAWMA"
Forgot to say that when i did purchase my Goex powder this last time, it came in one pound plastic containers. Thats a first for me, seemed a little cheap!  Plastic and Muzzleloaders. :-O

Haven't seen that.....yet.
But I figured it was sure to happen.
And you're right, it makes things look cheap, plastic has NEVER had a place around muzzleloaders.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 10:53:26 PM »
That's ok, have lots of empty goex cans arount I can transfer this plastic lb. to.  :rotf
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
When Elephant first became available, it was terrible stuff.  Very dirty and probably 25% or more less powerful than the comparable GOEX granulation.  For some reason when they switched to the plastic containers, the quality of their powder increased markedly.
It actually became my go to powder for my big bore guns where I was using Fg.  I guarantee you if a powder is going to foul the bore, 400 grains of Fg will do it in a heartbeat.
Ah, those were the days.  Nothing like going out to the range for a session of recoil therapy.  Yeah!!!!!
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
That's what I use in both my .54 and my .40 for pan and main charge.  Diamondback appears to have stopped for a while (or for good, don't know why) at my local, bulk supplier.  So for blanks in the future I will be probably using GOEX Re-enactor powder for the blanks..., will probably add a few cans of regular GOEX 3Fg into the order for myself.  I might even try a can or two of GOEX Express powder.  It's a bit of a drive to pick it up, but even the most expensive GOEX from the bulk supplier is $7 a pound cheaper than from the corner gunshop.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
Jacks Battle Powder is available from "Jacks Powder Keg".  I found service to be excellent and swift.  Mike Nesbitt did a bit of chronographing with JBP.  In most loads it gave equivalent or higher velocities than Goex, though differences were not great.  I have found (as Mike did) JBP to give the same fine accuracy as Goex.  I did some weighing and JBP appeared to be lighter in weight than Goex by a very slight amount.  My next trial is to chronograph it myself.  It does only come in 3F which suits me fine as that's about all I burn regardless of gun.  I can't swear it's true but I believe that JBP doesn't contain graphite.  I have both JBP and Goex and didn't have to touch the sights when I started using JBP.  It works great in the bore and in the pan.  I still have a pound or two of Dupont 4F but it will be a long time before I'll have to get into it.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2013, 05:08:59 AM »
Just use what ever you can find the cheapest.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Online Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
Quote from: "wwpete52"

:lt th
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
(I am completely done now, having received my degree in February). I was familiar with rocket candy even back then, but just propelling a projectile was not enough, as it was the use of bp that was important (rockets streaking up into the sky was just a happy outcome). Commercial bp could not be used as it burns too fast; for that reason, it had to be made to burn slowly, which required custom-made. I compared conflagration rates of different bp (including commercial brands) and that went into my research.

Congratulations Doctor!   :rt th

Any chance I can get a copy of your thesis?  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
(I am completely done now, having received my degree in February). I was familiar with rocket candy even back then, but just propelling a projectile was not enough, as it was the use of bp that was important (rockets streaking up into the sky was just a happy outcome). Commercial bp could not be used as it burns too fast; for that reason, it had to be made to burn slowly, which required custom-made. I compared conflagration rates of different bp (including commercial brands) and that went into my research.

Congratulations Doctor!   :)   It's possible--I sent you a PM.

T
Member #424

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »
Another learned member of the TMA... :bow
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »
I shoot Graf's powder - works fine for me - like Goex too - never tried Swiss
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline EvilTwin

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2014, 11:51:05 PM »
:shock: JUST went through this thread. I am SOOOOO screwed!!! Ya see,besides 2 flinters(rifle and fowler) I also own/operate an original Sharps 45/110 buffalo rifle and a Shiloh Sharps 44/90 Sharps Bottleneck.  I HAVE to buy my powder by the case. I go through a pound in one afternoon VERY often(Dang rifles are too much fun). I have been using KIK because it hydrates well and the fouling is easy to keep soft.  I am one who believes that BP made without graphite glaze fouls less. Anyone else have that opinion????
I LOVE the smell of blackpowder in the morning! It smells like.....Victory!!

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »

Pete,
       The longer I am involved in this traditional B/P thing, the more I believe
your right. At least for myself, unless you really want to split hairs I find very little difference
as far as accuracy, from one brand to the other. If there is a somewhat advantage
it would be in cleanup from one to the other. For the last 12+years I have stayed with
3fff Goex exclusively because it is available,about as cheap as anything else around.
Oh,and one other thing when I mailed a letter asking for promotional  items for my
local gun club,hats,patches, decals etc.....They were kind enough to send
a box of items. :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"

Pete,
       The longer I am involved in this traditional B/P thing, the more I believe
your right. At least for myself, unless you really want to split hairs I find very little difference
as far as accuracy, from one brand to the other. If there is a somewhat advantage
it would be in cleanup from one to the other. For the last 12+years I have stayed with
3fff Goex exclusively because it is available,about as cheap as anything else around.
Oh,and one other thing when I mailed a letter asking for promotional  items for my
local gun club,hats,patches, decals etc.....They were kind enough to send
a box of items. :shake

Snake eyes, don't be offended if Wally don't get back to ya right away. He has done passed on to that great rendezvous yonder. In fact, if'n you DO hear from him,,, well, you might wanna make sure you got things in order...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!