Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: squirrel rifles  (Read 3220 times)

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: squirrel rifles
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
Quote from: "rfd"
imo, a stainless steel cleaning rod is not at all bad if used correctly, with a properly sized front end and with a muzzle bore guide.
Can't disagree with ya there, but does a switch to steel really improve the process?
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Quote from: "sse"
imo, a stainless steel cleaning rod is not at all bad if used correctly, with a properly sized front end and with a muzzle bore guide.
Can't disagree with ya there, but does a switch to steel really improve the process?

IMHO - the business of ramrods has everything to do with friction/effort.  and sometimes a really stiff rod might be required so to lessen its bend (if any) in trying to wipe the bore.  

if there's significant friction on the cleaning/wiping jag/patch, that will mean the rod's gonna bend, and i don't care how stiff the rod is from the get-go.  with the right jag diameter and cleaning patch thickness, one can clean/wipe the bore without a hickory ramrod bending much if at all.  but if the jag/patch has a tight fit to begin with, and it's gotta pass the built up crud, that rod's gonna bend - less so with brass, and far less so with s/s.  

so to the point - how stiff the rod needs to be is really about how much effort will be needed to push the patched jag down the barrel and wipe out the crud, which can at times be baked on.  jmho and ymmv.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Fair enough.  I switched to brass for a range rod and cleaning at home and love the extra power and ease it allows.  Prior to that was using delrin, works in a pinch, but not ideal.  For a walk-thru, I use the hickory...
Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »
at one time i used to sell steel cleaning rods  that had a built on muzzle guide , T handle . The rod was flared at the end so as the guide would not slip off .

The key however to using  those steel and stainless , is the muzzle guide and a soft jag made of  brass , German silver or such. You don’t want the steel  hitting the rifling .

When it comes to  whats good for a cleaning and  loading rod .  Yes a good hickory rod is  hard to beat . Over time however  when used in the modern cleaning application , the tips can become lose and eventually break  or pull off. But if built properly , that takes some time to happen .
  I say modern because  today cleaning jags are the most common  used . Where  in the historic context , tow worms were  far more common .

I would also point out that not only must the  rod be strong enough to push  through , it must be strong enough to pull  back as the backward motion is actually tighter  . The reason for it being tighter is that a small amount of the cleaning patch  bunchs up on the back side of the jag as you pull out . Thus the  larger the  amount of patch material you have behind the  jag , the tighter it will get . That action is why  jags have  rings cut to them , in that it give the patch a place to bunch  up and  helps the jag hold the patch .

There also are 2 types of jags , button jags and necked jags .
 Button jags work great when you have a rod  that smaller then the jag itself . Because of the size difference, the  patch wads up  back of the jag  and  doesn’t  wad up to the point it wont pull   . But as you get down to smaller bores where the rod is often not much smaller then the  jag and there is no room for the patch to  wad up .  that’s where the necked jags come to play . That neck and then resulting taper back to rod size , gives  the excess cleaning  material place to  go  as you  pull the rod back up in your cleaning motion .
 Also when it comes to  using a RR with jag attached  fro loading “ this isn’t uncommon “

All of the above again comes into play if you have excess patch material around the ball . IE if your using an oversized  precut patch .  What happens is as you  push the ball down , the excess material  ends up not only around the ball but also around the jag . As you withdraw the road , that extra material  wads up and the jag grabs it .. Thus it tries to pull the patch an ball back out .
 Using less  patch material buy cutting at the muzzle will work to solve the problem as long as you don’t set the ball to deep prior to  ramming it home  , adjusting your  jag size  or loading without a jag will also solve the problem

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
rm, please share your source for the 9/32" rod!

Here's where I got it.  http://www.speedymetals.com/
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
thanx for the source, rm - did they drill and tap on end for ya or did you do it?

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
No, I did it myself using my drill-press.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
excellent, thanx again - just ordered a few out.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
Cap - I like your comments.  When I got the brass rod which, in my experience, really makes these tasks easier than using solely the hickory, I did order both a round handle for the palm for pushing and also a "T" end to screw on, for those times you mention when she don't wanna come outta there too easy!   :bl th up
Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline VEDearduff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
To answer your question, my squirrel rifle is a .36 flintlock with a 44 inch swamped barrel.  It's stocked in walnut and is rather plain (no patchbox, no carving, no engraving).

Here is a photo.
TMA  --  Number 642  Renewal Date 10/27/16
Indiana TMA State Representative
NMLRA
NRA - Life
NCOWS

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
beautiful rifle, thanx for sharing!

Offline trent/OH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
As an aside, when you are aiming at a squirrel way up there, you REALLY want the lock to fire. A "klatch" will spill priming powder into your eyeball. Remember the sulfur in the powder? It hurts worse than it sounds when the moisture in you eyes starts dissolving the powder granules. And your eye becomes a really moist place in an incredible hurry in the next few seconds! So use the best lock you can find, and the sharpest flints you have.

P.S.: Write down the words you say when the powder is in your eye just as soon as possible. Chances are that you never even heard some of them, much less spoken them aloud.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
Quote from: "trent/OH"
P.S.: Write down the words you say when the powder is in your eye just as soon as possible. Chances are that you never even heard some of them, much less spoken them aloud.
LOL
Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline 1911tex

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
trent/OH:  Dont ask how I know how right you are !

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Quote from: "1911tex"
trent/OH:  Dont ask how I know how right you are !
Well I can ask...How do you know...?  LOL
Regards, sse

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821