Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Why a smoothbore?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Why a smoothbore?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
Quote from: "hankaye"
Howdy All;

Several years ago I stumbled across this book;
"A Danvis Pioneer a story of one of Ethen Allen's
Green Mountain Boys" by Rowland E. Robinson
A Danvis pioneer; a story of one of Ethan Allen's Green mountain boys : Robinson, Rowland Evans, 1833-1900 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
It's free and can be downloaded as a PDF or for your kindle...
Chapter XII is titled "The Smoothbore. It describes the main
character's decision and why he made the choice he did.
The whole book is a good read.

hankaye

At first glance, it's written by someone who was born 60 years after the fact, and it's more of a historical novel rather than history.

Mario

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
I'd like to check it out, but the web site is down.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
Working for me. BTW, looks like this site gives access to a LOT from the University of Toronto. And a thank you to our Canadian taxpayer friends!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Seems to work OK for me too. Give it another shot!
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »
It's a good read.  As usual, it makes me wish I could have lived back then.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
yeah,  it's working now...was down temporarily...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
Quote from: "The Goose"
As a relative newcomer I have been trying to figure this out. Why a smoothbore? What is the rationale? I understand why the military in the 18th and early 19th century preferred a smoothbore. As a life long New Englander I understand that if you could only own one gun then a smoothbore had to be king in terms of putting meat on the table. Good for small game up to the largest and more then adequate for home defense. So I get why the poor or frugal farmer probably owned some type of fowler, but then I open up Rifles of Colonial America and I see many beautiful, elaborate and even ornate smoothbores. At that level why were they so popular? Again, I can understand that a more well heeled individual might want a fancier fowling piece. but if, as an example, I look at the Hermann Rupp rifle in Volume 1. It is not a fowler it is a rifle, with a smooth bore? Why was that? As usual I guess I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I should get a smoothbore and find out what I don't know.
From a former MA resident, What can you hunt deer with?? Note Smoothbore no rifling that was the modern law before I escaped from there.

Sounds bad but IMHO that is all needed for the ranges I hunt in NH & other NE states. The longest shot I have taken a Whitetail at is 65 yards.

That means a shotgun, works for ALL game therefore all you need by the laws there. However I like my 32 FL for small game, my 40 or 54 for big game, I like my other unmentionable firearms for fun and protection. Most are rifled.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
Ever try shooting geese or quail with a rifle? I'll take a shotgun every time. I do take a rifle for deer & elk though;-)
Rob

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
A smooth bore does two things. It  allows you to hunt and it forces you to be a hunter.

With a simple load adjustment you can bag anything  from  a mouse to a moose. No matter what the season you have a gun that will work.

While a smooth bore will work it demands more of the hunter.  You have to get closer and do more load development than with most other types of BP guns.  This is especially true if your gun is cylinder bored.

For myself, using a smooth  bore is just more fun. The best fitting gun I own is my trade gun and I enjoy the challenge.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
imho, as both a military weapon and sustenance tool of the 18th century, the smoothbore is without a doubt the only worthy firearm to shoulder.  if one wishes to relive that long bygone era in its most meaningful and appropriate manner, then the smoothie is the arm to acquire and use for farmer or militia man or colonial regular.  

other than that, it's all good and most any flinter, with or without rifling, will do just fine for any specific task at hand, hunting or target accuracy, pick yer weapon appropriately.  it's good to have choices.  some of us are poor choosers, so we have both flavors of long guns.  :)

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
Everything else said, Correct. In a survival scenario, anything that fits in the barrel can shot out and mame or kill. Many enemy have died from glass shards, nails, stone, small chain etc. Powder is the only must have ingredient for all firearms regardless of bore size/caliber. Single projectiles have been used to take fast moving and flying game. But, the success rate probability is greatly reduced and the skill level require is considerably higher. The smoothies are also lighter weight wise to carry.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.