Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Which lead for casting round balls and Lee REAL bullets?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 777
Which lead for casting round balls and Lee REAL bullets?
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm considering casting round balls and REAL bullets in .50 and .54 calibers.  Never done any casting.  I've been reading and watching videos.

Is pure 99.9% lead what I would need to use?  Will be shooting them in Lyman and Pedersoli rifles.

Been looking at Roto Metals site.  https://www.rotometals.com/pure-soft-lead-metal-99-9-5-pounds/

Any suggestions and/or guidance on casting would be greatly appreciated.  I also have Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.  Just got it.

Many thanks,

Paul
"There ain't nothing like boom and smoke!"  :-)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Which lead for casting round balls and Lee REAL bullets?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
I've no experience castin' REAL bullets,.... but for castin' round balls, either pure lead (99.9%) and/or wheel weights, work fine.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
I've cast both round ball and R.E.A.L. with "real" lead with no problems.  The lead I have is soft enough to scratch with my thumb nail, so it's pretty close to being pure.  Bought it years ago at a scrap metal place in Oregon, have given some away and still have enough to last me until I'm looking up at grass roots.  You might see if there is a scrap metal dealer around your part of the country who has lead.  And the test I learned away back then was to see if it could be scratched with a thumbnail.  If it won't then it is too hard.

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:24 AM »
Thank you very much.  I appreciate everyone's help.  :hairy

I have everything ordered and it should be here this week.  Looking forward to getting started.

Paul

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
Here's something to consider.  Rifles have lands and grooves whose purpose is to grab the ball/patch and spin it.  The softer the lead the easier it is for the lands to press themselves into the ball for a better grip.  It's also easier to ram the ball down the bore as the ball comforms to the rifling.  Wheel weight metal alloy is hard and resists conforming to the rifling.  This makes things more difficult and may require the use of a smaller ball.  I see more burned patches from gas blow-by when trying to use WW in a rifle.

WW does have its place.  A smoothbore likes it just fine.  I think it's a waste of good soft lead to shoot it out of a smoothie.  Save the soft stuff for your rifles.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
Thank you John.  I appreciate the additional information.

Paul

Offline buflerhide

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
I used wheel weights for patched round balls until I dry balled one.  Bullet was too hard to accept the screw to retrieve it.  Had to remove nipple and dribble powder into the chamber.  Several times.  Recast them all into slingshot ammo.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
i've cast REALs and balls and i would heed john's advice on the conicals and make sure to use as pure a lead as possible.  patched balls don't matter much.

Offline peterh

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 787
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
I use what lead i can get for my cannons(smooth bore) most of it is WW, and works fine, i buy the cast balls for my small arms(pistols/rifles). Just dont think it is worth casting ant thing under 1 inch.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:02 PM »
I use what lead i can get for my cannons(smooth bore) most of it is WW, and works fine, i buy the cast balls for my small arms(pistols/rifles). Just dont think it is worth casting ant thing under 1 inch.

Your comment got me to thinkin' and doin' some figurein',.........  :bl th up

100,.... .530 Hornady round balls from Track of The Wolf cost,.... $15.29 plus shipping and weigh 3.2 lbs.

I pay $1.50 per pound for 99.9% pure lead I get from a foundry,.... so, those same 100 .530 round balls, actually cost me $4.80 to cast (once I've bought a mold which can be used 1000's of times).  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 04:59:49 PM »
Great discussion on cast round ball from pure lead and/or wheel weights. I learned a great deal and not feel better about using ww to run balls for my smoothbore.

I am getting more into trekking all the time so for me running my own round balls is part of the authenticity of my persona.

Again thanks for increasing my understanding. Great to have folks who know what they are talking about.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
the bottom line for me is, when in doubt i use as pure a lead as possible for all flintlock rifle and smoothie balls, patched or otherwise.  i save the hard stuff for the BPCR PPB bullets, where the hardness is sorely needed.