Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Japanese flinter smoothie  (Read 1274 times)

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
Japanese flinter smoothie
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
A few weeks ago, I traded for a Japan made flinter. It has a steel rammer, and copper stock bands. The barrel is marked Japan, but no other markings. I have spent a few days researching, and it may be a Miroku/Ultra Hi flinter.
I'm guessing 16 gauge, and I was told probably sold in the late 60's to early 70's by Sears. I'd post sketches but trying makes my hair fall out, and I can't afford any more losses. You scoundrels ever seen one of the described guns?
Brad

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Japanese flinter smoothie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
Quote from: "McBullett"
A few weeks ago, I traded for a Japan made flinter. It has a steel rammer, and copper stock bands. The barrel is marked Japan, but no other markings. I have spent a few days researching, and it may be a Miroku/Ultra Hi flinter.
I'm guessing 16 gauge, and I was told probably sold in the late 60's to early 70's by Sears. I'd post sketches but trying makes my hair fall out, and I can't afford any more losses. You scoundrels ever seen one of the described guns?
Brad
Yep,... I remember when their .45 cal. percussion rifles were being sold by Sears.
I don't remember seeing them in smoothbore, or flintlock though.
The Jap percussion rifles were practically identical to the 2-piece stocked .45's Jukar's being imported from Spain around that same time.  :rt th

Every once and awhile, one of the Japanese percussion .45's will still show up on a gun-auction site, or, at one of the gun shows across the country.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
well it won't spark worth a hoot. BUT... I don't have much in it either. I had the frizzen hardened.. kinda sparks but is real good at busting flint edges.
SMDH
B

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
well it won't spark worth a hoot. BUT... I don't have much in it either. I had the frizzen hardened.. kinda sparks but is real good at busting flint edges.
SMDH
B
Is there anything stamped on the backside of the lockplate?
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
SMDH
B
U.S. and an eagle on front of plate. Nothing on the back
Brad

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
SMDH
B
U.S. and an eagle on front of plate. Nothing on the back
Brad
I'm not sure what to tell you, if the guy you had "re-harden" your frizzen knew what he was doing, 'cept maybe take the lock to every gunshow/muzzleloading doin's, and see if you can (maybe) find a replacement frizzen among the many "parts and pieces" some of the old timers sometimes bring to the various shows.

A search like that could take years, unless you are extremely lucky.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to'ya.

rollingb/rondo

P.S.,.... if it were mine, I'd probably try solderin' something, (like a piece of hacksaw blade) to the face of the frizzen, and see how that works,... you ain't got much to lose if it doesn't work any better than what you have now.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:33:53 PM »
Quote from: "rollongb"
I'm not sure what to tell you, if the guy you had "re-harden" your frizzen knew what he was doing, 'cept maybe take the lock to every gunshow/muzzleloading doin's, and see if you can (maybe) find a replacement frizzen among the many "parts and pieces" some of the old timers sometimes bring to the various shows.

A search like that could take years, unless you are extremely lucky.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to'ya.

rollingb/rondo

P.S.,.... if it were mine, I'd probably try solderin' something, (like a piece of hacksaw blade) to the face of the frizzen, and see how that works,... you ain't got much to lose if it doesn't work any better than what you have now.  :Doh!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »
I'm going to play with it for a bit. It may get the chance to go to a new home. I'd show you a picture.. BUT I'm dumb as a rock and spent all day trying to download a picture LOL... good thing I can still bring meat to the table and can read sign... I'm useless on a computer it appears  :shake
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:04:06 PM »
well.. I got coffee. welcome to my fire
Brad

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
I'm dumb as a rock and spent all day trying to download a picture LOL... good thing I can still bring meat to the table and can read sign... I'm useless on a computer it appears  :Doh!

Don't feel to bad, I've been trying off and on for the last 12 years to get a picture here.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline McBullett

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »
good thing I got an extra cup! come on in !
Brad

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
If it's real good at busting flint edges, I would guess the geometry is wrong, that it is hitting the frizzen too straight before scraping down the face of it.  Can the cock be bent down?  It wouldn't surprise me if the steel is soft and repeated use has bent it back.  I bought a Cabella's caplock cheap from a guy years ago, where the hammer wouldn't hit the caps straight on.  I was able to lay the hammer on a rock and give it a couple of taps with a ball peen hammer to get it bent right.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
I've had sitting in a box for 7_8 years with a broken spring a Miroku pistol. Found a spring on ebay last week. Then spent two days getting the lock set up. Its a new kit picked it up at a Rochester,new yorkisstan gun show.

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
That thing is actually a BOAT ANCHOR in disguise! :Doh! ;D :laffing
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"