Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Josyln Art museum Omaha Nebraska  (Read 326 times)

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
Josyln Art museum Omaha Nebraska
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
Had a friend go to this museum this week and said they had a large amount of fur trade era paintings including
The Trappers bride  by AJ Miller
Here is a description from their website

Joslyn Art Museum is internationally recognized for its collection of artists and explorers of the American West, including major holdings by Alfred Jacob Miller and nearly 400 watercolors and drawings by Swiss artist Karl Bodmer, who journeyed up the Missouri River between 1832–34 to portray the landscapes of the high plains and its native inhabitants. American Indian cultures are represented by a diverse collection of nineteenth- and twentieth-century artists, as well as nineteenth-century portraits of important Plains chiefs by Charles Bird King and Henry Inman.

I hope to make it down there in the next few weeks
Hope more people are able to see some of this

If this needs to be moved to the general topics please do so Mods
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Josyln Art museum Omaha Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
I bet it was pretty interesting. I recall when my family and I would make almost annual trips back to my native Ohio country to visit my side of the family, there was a roadside rest we use to pull into off I-80 and there was a huge plaque at that place that described the French influence of the fur trade as far back as the 1730's in that now Omaha area.

I have never researched it in depth as my interest lay more with the 1825 - 1840 Rendezvous era, but I have no doubt there is some rich history to be learned from those earlier times along the Missouri River country.  :lt th
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska