Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Photobucket is now charging $400/yr for sharing photos with forums  (Read 486 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
I just seen this on another forum,........

Photobucket just changed their policy and is now charging $400/yr for third party hosting, which means all of your photos on Photobucket shared with this forum.  They severed all links with photos so if you are using them, your photos are no longer displayed on this site unless you pay up.  They did this with almost no warning and many tech gurus think they are doomed.  Apparently all new membership on their site has ceased and virtually all the traffic is people off loading their images.  I'm looking for a new hosting site but I will have to update all the links in my posts to the new address if I want the photos to be reposted.  This is the kind of "digital tech" behavior that will eventually ruin many people.

Here is a link to free hosting sites still available,.......
www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Photobucket is now charging $400/yr for sharing photos with forums
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »
I never did understand the concept of Photobucket.  Why stick your pictures on some web site where they may disappear when you can save them to the hard drive or some other storage device?  Back in the day of 20 meg hard drives and 3 1/4" floppies it may have made sense but those are long gone.  Heck, most thumb drives will hold more photos than most folks shoot anymore!

so if Photobucket goes down the tubes it's good riddance, I say.  My personal opinion worth no more than 2 cents.  :laffing

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:04 PM »
I just removed my pictures and deleted my account. There most likely will be some blank picture spaces in my previous post, but I'm not paying those morons $400.00 a year. I'll learn how to post my pictures through the site here.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:38:36 PM »
Ta-ta Photobucket.
I wish it had been nice, but it has been a PITA for the most part, especially lately.
I guess I will try something else.  Or not.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
14 years ago photobucket was a blessing.  about 6 years ago it turned into a curse.  now, it's worse than a curse.

photobucket is to be avoided like the plague it truly is.  what started out as a service to man has made man its slave.  no thank you.

i use www.imgur.com - totally free and no ads.  a pleasure to use and heartily recommended.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
14 years ago photobucket was a blessing.  about 6 years ago it turned into a curse.  now, it's worse than a curse.

photobucket is to be avoided like the plague it truly is.  what started out as a service to man has made man its slave.  no thank you.

i use www.imgur.com - totally free and no ads.  a pleasure to use and heartily recommended.
Thanks Rob,.... I'll give it a try, I've had "imgur" bookmarked for quite some time, just never gotten around to setting up an account with'em.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »

Thanks Rob,.... I'll give it a try, I've had "imgur" bookmarked for quite some time, just never gotten around to setting up an account with'em.  :hairy

Thanks Rob!  :shake

Just signed up and put it to use. It's better IMHO then Photo Bucket and easier to use!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »
Those 'squirrels' running that site are more looney than a road lizard! :Doh!  They change it around more often that I change my underwear and that's every day! I left the idiots a long time back!! :toast
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:52:30 AM »
On Rob's recommendation I changed to Imgur...it seems to be really user friendly and is much faster than Photo Bucket ever was.....in fact, it's scary fast.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4