Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: General concensus on cleaning or restoring an antique gun  (Read 528 times)

Offline Martin_G

• TMA Forum Member
General concensus on cleaning or restoring an antique gun
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
I have been thinking about buying (or trading)so I could get an original 1861-1864 Springfield musket. It can be one of several manufacturers.

From what I have seen,some reproduction muskets surpass many originals in price. With that said, why buy a repro when you can own a piece of history?

My plans are to use and shoot it,if its possible, and I'm undecided if anything should be done cosmetically or mechanically. This would not be a NRA Excellent grade gun. More than likely there will be at least some pitting ,rust,crud, etc... This antique would be in the $1200.00 range as the nice "unissued" guns are very rare and command $5000.00 +.

I know that having it checked out by a competent gunsmith familiar with muzzleloaders is the first order of business if I plan on using it instead of being a "wallhanger".

NOW....here is the Million Dollar question! After inspection, what is the best thing to do with the musket? I would like a functional musket and something that looks like it was in the war AND maimtained but not like a piece of junk.

I don't want to ruin its value either. In your opinion, what is the best course to take to maintain or increase value? I appreciate ALL advice and suggestions regarding this!

1) Nothing at all--leave it as is.
2) Do some very mild cleaning.
3) Clean it up 100%.
4) Have it cleaned professionally.

OR.....

5) Have it restored professionally.

Thanks!

Martin

PS: I wasn't sure which forum area this belonged, but it is a caplock! LOL!

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
If as you say your intention is to actually use the rifle.  Then I'd have to say you should completely disassemble the gun, clean, inspect, and repair anything that is worn or broken.  Check the barrel very closely for cracks or defects.  If you can take it to someone who can x-ray it or do other tests/inspections for internal fractures.  After cleaning it and restoring it to full functionality, use it to your harts content.

You will get a lot of blow back from those that say it should not be touched but as a still working gun there is no reason in my mind keep it in working condition.

:peace  :toast
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »
I once owned a Springfield M1862 Rifle Musket.  When I got it, it had been used as a toy for over fifty years.  I sprung the rammer to find at least two loads in the breech. I called around and found a smith competent to work on it. He unbreeched it to find........Wait for it........two full loads in the breech.   He saved them for me, cleaned the bore,  cleaned and oiled the lock, and installed a new nipple.  Other than a gentle wipe on the outside, that was all the cleaning needed.  I borrowed a Lyman .58 Minie Ball mold and cast a few hundred pure lead minies, and shot it regularly for several years until I was offered so much money for it I couldn't say no.  I still regret selling it, but being a young father with a wife and two kids overrode keeping the musket.  

I'd say get it checked out by a competent smith and if found in good order, by all means, shoot it.  I would not do any more restoration than necessary to put it in good working order. A new nipple, dismount, clean and oil the lockworks and wipe down the stock and barrel with an oily rag is all I'd do.  

That kind of maintainance will preserve the value while allowing you to shoot and enjoy your musket.  Of course I'd replace any broken parts while keeping the originals tucked safely away.  

Those loads that were in the breech?  That powder was in as good condition as the day(s?) it was first loaded.  The smith fired one and I fired the other.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Martin_G

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
Today if a kid was using that rifle as a toy the neighbors would call the police and then let loose child protective services!

No doubt some kids do need a "voice" with some parents or guardians, but with them you're guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way around!

Me and my buddies used to play army with surplus WWII surplus helmets and guns made from wood and a piece of small diameter pipe as a barrel. We would play for hours yelling "BANG,bang"!

Right now I have to sell two modern guns in order to buy this 1861 Springfield but I think it will be worth it!

Before I buy it I did want to find out about what everyone thought about "cleaning,leave alone, or restoring it".

Years later do ya wish you had kept the original loads from it?

Thanks,

Martin

Offline swampman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »
Track of the Wolf frequently has original CW muskets that have been restored to shooting condition for a fair price.  It is common to reline barrels and even new barrels can be had.  Mild cleaning is all I'd do.
"In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."

Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990