Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Baker rifles  (Read 512 times)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Baker rifles
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
Have not heard any tales of these lately. Does anyone still own/shoot a Baker? I know several members at one time bought the Middlesex smooth Bakers and went on to re barrel them with rifled barrels. I wonder where all those nice smooth barrels went? Any hoo, if you have one, break it out and lets see some targets! And some durn pictures too.  :hairy
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: Baker rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:19:24 AM »
I have one made by the Rifle Shoppe.  It is the primary rifle I shoot.  Even with its heavy no set trigger, open V rear sight, and over 8 lbs of weight I can hold my own with the small bore, double set trigger, and peep sight crowd.

Just got back from the PLR Rendezvous at Sequim.  Of the 105 shooters, I won the Rifle trail with it.  I also won the 50 yd paper buffalo target for club members.  Got beat for the $150 prize by a non-club member.  I'm still trying to figure when everyone else got so bad I can win.

Almost forgot a pic of target.  These are a few years old but they were made with my Baker.
[album:57w3shi2]4079[/album:57w3shi2][album:57w3shi2]2229[/album:57w3shi2]

Puffer go an India import and had it re-barreled with some work on the lock I shot pretty good.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »
Quote from: "Sir Michael"
I have one made by the Rifle Shoppe.  It is the primary rifle I shoot.  Even with its heavy no set trigger, open V rear sight, and over 8 lbs of weight I can hold my own with the small bore, double set trigger, and peep sight crowd.

Just got back from the PLR Rendezvous at Sequim.  Of the 105 shooters, I won the Rifle trail with it.  I also won the 50 yd paper buffalo target for club members.  Got beat for the $150 prize by a non-club member.  I'm still trying to figure when everyone else got so bad I can win.

Almost forgot a pic of target.  These are a few years old but they were made with my Baker.
[album:2nfoj2l7]4079[/album:2nfoj2l7][album:2nfoj2l7]2229[/album:2nfoj2l7]

Puffer go an India import and had it re-barreled with some work on the lock I shot pretty good.

I went to Tenino last weekend, had 30 shooters. I live up north and Squim was farther away.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:43 AM »
GRMM will have its Rendezvous at the same location in Sequim over Labor Day weekend.  Give us a try.  We put on a pretty good Rendezvous.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:31:03 AM »
I did Ravensdale many many times
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
Now's the time to do it again.  So far it looks like clear weather and dry canvas.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132