Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CVA replacment lock question?  (Read 540 times)

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
CVA replacment lock question?
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Have any of you used the L&R CVA replacement lock?

I have a mountain rifle and a Deer Creek rifle that really shoot well.  But the CVA lock is troublesome.  I would like to put the Deer Creek rifle to work in club shoots but I have concerns about the CVA locks durability and reliability.

Thinking of getting the L&R lock and wondering if anyone can tell me how well it will interchange and if there are any issues with making the swap.

Might consider changing the triggers as well if there are any advantages in doing so.  

Thanks
Steve
Steve Sells

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: CVA replacment lock question?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »
Hi Steve,... I copied the following directly from L&R's website.

The "RPL Line" was developed in answer to tremendous customer demand for quality side lock mechanisms to replace the lower grade locks found on many of the commercial muzzleloaders in today's market place.  
    Each unit is all American made, by experienced craftsman and backed by the professional service and the reliable parts supply that made L&R famous. These precision built mechanisms include all the features you've come to expect from the Number1 lock manufacturer in the world today. Competition strokes, bearing surfaced internals, rain resistant pans, and rollered frizzens are used in each unit. Each lock is fully capable of providing the speed and reliability you need for a successful hunt or competition.
    The booklet included with each unit provides a wealth of information concerning installation , care, cleaning, nomenclature and troubleshooting, the common problems confronted in using the "traditional" ignition systems. Lock plates drop in but some minor internal wood removal is necessary to accommodate the RPL's heavy duty working parts.

The red high-light is mine, not L&R's.  :rt th
RPL Locks
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
I used one to switch a mountain rifle over to flint.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline MountainDevil

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:34:59 PM »
Polish the lock internals on that cva lock. Most of the time burrs and rough edges cause them to jam up.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
IIRC, the main problem with the CVA/Traditions locks are pathetic quality springs.  If you know a blacksmith who is tolerably well qualified, he can build a new mainspring for you for a good deal less than a new L & R lock will cost you.  And you won't have to deal with wood removal, either.
Just a thought.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life