Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: shot snake substitute  (Read 1133 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
shot snake substitute
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »
I do not have a commercial shot snake or whatever you call those things that dispense shot. What makes a good quick substitute for carrying shot to pour into my measure tube in the field? Would a coke bottle do?  I'm going dove hunting tommorrow morning and I do not want to take loose shot in a coffee can and dip it. I figure you guys have all kinds of innovative shot dispensers I can come up with till I can order a proper shot snake or whatever those things are called. Thanks in advance. :-)

Offline Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Well, sometimes I use a hard leather ball bag (got several of them from Beaverman)...sometimes a small leather bag with a wood spout tied in the mouth of it...and other times I just make up a bunch of roll yer owns with post it notes or coin wrappers...
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »
I just use a one pound planters peanut can dip my measure in it
Not period but in a dove field the action can get hectic in a hurry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »
Get yourself an English shot flask that will hold one or 2  pound of shot  and throw a load of 1oz ,1.1/4 oz, or a flask that throws 1.1/4 to 1.1/2 oz of shot. Use an English or Irish type of charger  I prefere the English.I do not like pre measured charges in plastic they take up too much room and make to much noise.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door
[albumimg:p2cwh3gw]4307[/albumimg:p2cwh3gw]

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I will order me a shot flask of some kind next order for sure but for now I will make do with something or other and have a good time.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
Coke bottle is fine.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:44:24 PM »
I made my own "shot pouch" years ago, and although it looks good and does what it's supposed to do, I actually think I might like a hard leather shot bag better and wouldn't be so "floppy" when filling my measure.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
When you consider what type of charger head to get, consider the Irish. It is adjustable for 1, 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 oz of shot. It can be fine tuned by putting cards or other filler in the bottom of the scoop, so you could reduce it to say 3/4 or 1/2 or in between. Can't do that with the English. It dumps one of two volumes, period. But the Irish has a scoop you can lose if you don't put a leash on it. That's why ToW sells replacement scoops. Experience talking. Mine's now tethered, and a spare is at home--guaranteeing that I'll never lose another.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline FG1

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:45:27 PM »
Empty shotshells with pre measured shot in each one with wax paper taped over end. To use , poke finger through wax paper and dump the shot .
NRA Life Member

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »
Agree with Kermit.  I also think the Irish is the best.  If for no other reason than you can see that the measure is full.  The English is kind of a by gosh and by golly situation.
Also, not a bad idea to tether the scoop.
For an impromptu shot carrier you could use an open top leather pouch full of shot and a scoop.  It can't get much more basic than that.  And it works.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »
Everyman too his own but I find that the English is best  more so in a  hectic situation  when shooting driven game or decoying  from a hide  .In these circumstances  I find the Irish is too slow.
Feltwad
A Flint Lock will not secure a chicken house door

Offline fistmil

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:23:06 AM »
For what it's worth, I've never used a shot flask . When squirrel or rabbit hunting I always carried pre-measured shot and powder.

I use the  heavy paper coin tubes (envelopes) to hold the shot and powder. They come in a bag of assorted colors and sizes. I fold one end, staple, pour in measured shot, and staple closed. Shot envelopes in one pocket and powder in the other.

To load simply tear off one end and pour down the barrel.  They may not be traditional, but I am sure a similar method was used in the past

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »
I forgot to mention that with an Irish type you can keep more than one spout. I have a second that's plugged with some cards to throw about 3/4 to 7/8 oz of shot, depending on size. I use it when I load my .50 smoothrifle with shot. The other unmodified one gets used with my 20ga fowler.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
Sounds like I might try the Irish. Our hunt was terrible with no shooting this weekend so the coke bottle worked just fine. I only shot about three times, only one time at anything that I really expected to hit and I missed. Now I got time to get properly geared up. I like the idea of coin wrappers or old shotgun shells to hold pre measured loads if shooting is likely to be fast and furious. For squirrels or rabbits and such I suppose speed reloading is not as big a deal. Thanks again for the suggestions. As always, good information can be gotten here. :-)

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »
For you guys doing a mid 18th century impression, what kind of shot dispenser do you use?