Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What's it worth?  (Read 312 times)

Spotted Bull

What's it worth?
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
A friend acquired a nice TC .54 Hawken that he needs to sell. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm wondering what a price range for such a critter would be?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: What's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
Somewhere between $300.00 and $400.00,... usually depends on how bad someone wants it, or how much a seller is willing to take for it.  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
Somewhere between $300.00 and $400.00,... usually depends on how bad someone wants it, or how much a seller is willing to take for it.  :bl th up

The T/C Hawken of the past is a interesting muzzleloader, often selling today for much more than it  original cost.
Now that it's no longer made there has been a resurgence of interest in the gun, with that "new" interest being the exact same thing that made them remarkably popular when they were first introduced.....that being, "They look very much like the buying public thinks a Hawken should look like. "
(A thought that has remained debatable since its first introduction, but that thought has persisted since day one.)
I have read that the demand for the T/C Hawken is as strong as it ever was for the sale of entry level muzzleloader ?!?!?!

I think Rondo nailed it! The value of such guns depends solely on two factors.
What is the seller willing to take, and what is the buyer willing to give.
And that, IMO, is just as it should be.

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
There is a big "buyer beware" associated with these guns, I suspect more of them have pitted barrels to some degree opposed than the ones that don't. I see barrels listed on ebay that say "pristine barrel" and show a shiny bore light shot, if you look closely you can see some pitting, not bad but still there. Every now and then a perfect barrel will show up and they will want $395 for the barrel alone, don't know if they will get this price for them.

I wouldn't buy any used M.l unless I looked in the bore myself or it was listed as unshot.