Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Giving My Old Outfit A Work Over  (Read 416 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Giving My Old Outfit A Work Over
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
Been giving my outfits a bit of a work over for the July Rendezvous. I don't think I've changed much with what I've been wearing over the last 25+ years, but I did get some new pants and lengthened my shirts, dressed up my hat a bit. Got the Moc's on in these two pictures. Most the time I wear boots.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Giving My Old Outfit A Work Over
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »
Lookin' pretty good there.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
Lookin good Joe
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
Thanks guys.  :bl th up

If I had a bit more time I'd run some blue stripes down that red (front and rear) cloth, but time is getting to short to get the other things that need to be done for the Rondy, completed... Back in the "old" days of today's Rendezvous - things were a bit simpler when it was just me, but I'm glad some of the family is getting back to the doings and getting involved again.

Tents come to mind... Last year with just Lucas and I, we just made the small tent work,,, so this year we're taking both the small A-Frame Tent and the Wall Tent.  It's kinda (last year not enough tent) -vs- (this year too much tent)... :Doh!

No matter, like always we are going to have us good times at the Rondy!  :bl th up  :*:

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 09:31:03 PM »
Joe,  ya look plumb dandy in yer outfit. And it's a very familiar look to these old eyes.

:hairy

Matter'a fact, ya look just like a 1,000 other Buckskinners outta Taos, Eagle Pass, The Mimbres, or The Mogollon Mountains of New Mexico / Arizona.

FWIW: From the Franklin Mountains of Paso del Norte, the very foothills of the Rocky Mtns, to the Canadian Rockies, such attire was very common throughout the nation's early years, including most of the Fur Trade era. (Accompanied by a Buffalo Robe, slung over the shoulder or carried on a horse.)

As you well know, Fur Traders of the Southwest often dressed a little bit different than others, especially those coming out of the High Country of the Rockies with their furs and leathers, and all for good reason.
The high Desert / Mountain Country of that area can go from 100* in daylight hours, to a bone chilling 28* over night, especially in early Spring or late Fall.

Of course, ya ain't located all that far from those very same folks, so I have to imagine your "character / persona" would look pretty much the same as those throughout much of the Southwest.

The Murals on the walls of the old Library at UTEP, depicting 17th / 18th century of Paso del Norte  showed the majority of Gringos, Mescalero Apache,  Mexicans, Ysleta Tiguas, Pueblos, all dressed just as you in your picture......

Many of our Members who are / were from this same area and have 'vooed' quite a bit, will tell you the very same thing.  Your persona as a free trapper would fit perfectly in the Southwest!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
Yep looking real sharp :hairy
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »
Joe,  ya look plumb dandy in yer outfit. And it's a very familiar look to these old eyes.

:hairy

Matter'a fact, ya look just like a 1,000 other Buckskinners outta Taos, Eagle Pass, The Mimbres, or The Mogollon Mountains of New Mexico / Arizona.

FWIW: From the Franklin Mountains of Paso del Norte, the very foothills of the Rocky Mtns, to the Canadian Rockies, such attire was very common throughout the nation's early years, including most of the Fur Trade era. (Accompanied by a Buffalo Robe, slung over the shoulder or carried on a horse.)

As you well know, Fur Traders of the Southwest often dressed a little bit different than others, especially those coming out of the High Country of the Rockies with their furs and leathers, and all for good reason.
The high Desert / Mountain Country of that area can go from 100* in daylight hours, to a bone chilling 28* over night, especially in early Spring or late Fall.

Of course, ya ain't located all that far from those very same folks, so I have to imagine your "character / persona" would look pretty much the same as those throughout much of the Southwest.

The Murals on the walls of the old Library at UTEP, depicting 17th / 18th century of Paso del Norte  showed the majority of Gringos, Mescalero Apache,  Mexicans, Ysleta Tiguas, Pueblos, all dressed just as you in your picture......

Many of our Members who are / were from this same area and have 'vooed' quite a bit, will tell you the very same thing.  Your persona as a free trapper would fit perfectly in the Southwest!

Uncle Russ...

Thank you Russ, your words describe me quite well my friend.  :shake

I expect if I had lived back then, those northern trapping seasons and winter camps would have started taken their toll on me with each passing year, and that southwest trade would be looking & feeling mighty good in those winter months. So much so, I'd of just adapted myself into the southwest, though I'd probably complain about the heat in the summer time... :*: But then I might just head north in the summer.   

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
Yep looking real sharp :hairy

Thank you Lonewolfe20.  :shake

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Looking fine there Joe  :bl th up, and having enjoyed voos from the Membres to Carlsbad...I agree with Russ.  Enjoy!!
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47