Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New Shooting Bags & Cat....  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: New Shooting Bags & Cat....
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Thanks ~Keys~  :shake

Last night I just finished up another bag that will be used for both .45 caliber - Flintlock and Percussion (a couple of my Dickert style muzzle loading rifles). It houses everything I need to shoot and maintain both ignition systems. It looks very similar to the one above, just a few more pockets, and a vent pick holster sleeve where it's handy to get to off the bag if needed.

My wife and I are going to run down to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I just might pick up some more remnant leather. Figure since I don't watch TV very often, I may as well do something constructive with my time,,, and I'd like all my Rifles to have their own bag. That was one of my goals when I first got into this sport/hobby,,, each Rifle should have its own bag - but over 40 years it hasn't panned out that way, but maybe I'll get there... :pray:   
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Okay, got my Flint/Cap Lock Shooting Bag switched over. I realized as soon as I started to combined the two bags into the one new bag that I just gained two shooting bags. Two less I'll have to make.  :bl th up

Next project; Take the two old shooting bags and assign each one to my two 42" barreled Dickert .45 caliber Flintlock's,,, then start a new bag for my .50 caliber Lyman GPR Flintlock Rifle, and make one for my (.40 caliber Ed Rayl Barreled Cap Lock). I did pick up more leather at Hobby Lobby this morning.  The rest of my rifles are what I consider "Range Box" Rifles as they are X-Stick Rifles and a Chunk Gun,,, competitions I no longer shoot.  Who knows, someday I might once again, or just take 'em out to enjoy shooting them?

Might as well spend the Winter being productive...  :o  I'm sure I'll be sick and tired of sewing after all this..... :laffing

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 08:05:35 PM »
I agree with your thinking, old friend.
I also agree that, after that much sewing, I would not be able to pick my nose with those same fingers...when it comes to sewing leather, my fingers look more like I had been working in a Butcher Shop....

In my opinion, anyone having and shooting more'n one gun / one caliber, can find it very convenient to have a bag for each gun...ready to go.
Granted, a lot of "stuff' will change over from one gun to the next, with very minimal change to the bag contents, but a dedicated bag is still a super nice thing to have.
Just my thoughts......

:hairy

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
I agree completely.

For years (and I do mean a lot of years) I got by with a few bags to service several rifles and always having to change a few things out now and again before heading of to the Range or out on the hunt. I guess at first it was a real pain in the you know where, but like anything else a person can get use to the drill, but it would be so much simpler to have dedicated bags. So far I've tried to keep the same layout of the items in the new bags as in the old bags, and the only real difference is the extra pockets I added to the new bags.  I bet I'll search for something in these new bag's and think, "now where'd I put????:Doh! :laffing Just human nature.  :bl th up