Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Slit Pouches  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
Slit Pouches
« on: December 04, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
I have started doing a little research on slit pouches. Having just purchased one, I decided to learn a little more about them.

Although I had never heard of them, it appears they were widely used by the Eastern Woodland Tribes during 18th and 19th centuries. I found an appropriately named "Slit Pouches" site on Pinterest that has over a dozen examples. Then when I googled "Slit Pouches" I found a 17 page scholarly article on them. The article has great specific info on size and construction (even if there is also a lot of extraneous material, as well).

The article follows, but I would luv to know if anyone knows any additional info...

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Slit Pouches
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
I have started doing a little research on slit pouches. Having just purchased one, I decided to learn a little more about them.

Although I had never heard of them, it appears they were widely used by the Eastern Woodland Tribes during 18th and 19th centuries. I found an appropriately named "Slit Pouches" site on Pinterest that has over a dozen examples. Then when I googled "Slit Pouches" I found a 17 page scholarly article on them. The article has great specific info on size and construction (even if there is also a lot of extraneous material, as well).

The article follows, but I would luv to know if anyone knows any additional info...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I have seen these before, but never put much thought into them. When one studies them, they do make for good use I feel.

https://www.pinterest.com/dmnfrnchmn/slit-pouches/

Thanks Ray.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
 :hairy Thanks...sorry about the invalid attachment. The article is a PDF so it should have been fine but was probably too large.

The title of the article is "Slit Pouches of Eastern North America." The author is Christian Feest. The article originally appeared in American Indian Art Magazine in January 2006.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
I've always thought the eastern quilled slit pouches were pretty cool, and if they had been used extensively by tribes in the west I'd make one to pair up with one of my Northwest Trade Guns.  :bl th up :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Spotted Bull

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
Definitely going to download and read this article.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
The design of the northeast tribe's "slit pouch" is the same design as used for the 17th.-19th. century "market wallet" (sans the decorative quill-work and fringe), which were made from linen, or any other available material.

American 1600-1800's. century "market wallets" often varied in size (in both length and width), and ranged from about 2 feet in length, up to 4-5 feet long,... small "wallets" could be worn tucked over a waist belt, large "wallets" were usually carried over one's shoulder or even across the back of a pack animal. :bl th up
https://www.pinterest.com/furrypetals/1714-1789-bags-baskets-luggage-wallets-
colonial-ge/

Townsends also offers "market wallets" for sale on their website ,....  :bl th up
https://www.townsends.us/products/market-wallet-mw724-p-1131
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
I had never heard of market wallets until this Summer when I went to my first event in decades. I liked the idea and bought one. Then my friend Chris Hass advertised a slit pouch on Facebook that looked so nice I claimed it...and of course, then I wanted to learn more to see how "period correct" the pouches might be. That is the path that has led here and it keeps getting better.

I like the Pinterest site you mentioned, Rollingb. It has some really nice illustrations of the market wallets in use...very helpful.

The slit pouches seem like they could be good for hanging your fire kit or your pipe and tobacco over your belt. That's what I have in mind for mine. And the pouches would definitely work better when wearing a sash rather than a belt...
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »
When I first saw the pictures of the slit pouches I started wondering just how they were used.  My initial thought was something like a pair of saddle bags or a smaller version over a belt. The PDF article, while it gave lots of details of origin, construction and decoration, provided only this bit of information.
"A longitudinal slit in the upper layer provides access to the two compartments formed by carrying the pouch over a belt or sometimes a powder horn. The latter variant points to the primary function of these bags as containers for bullets, cartridges and other material related to the use of firearms, which is documented in museum records. Other possible uses, such as tobacco bags, may be secondary."

Before I read that I thought they would be much more utilitarian. I wonder if the scholars ever looked inside and sampled whatever remnants, no matter how small, might be found.  Rollingb's info on "market wallets" leads me to think the slit pouches were probably used for every conceivable purpose in daily life.

Now I'm wondering what the non-northeast tribes used for similar purposes.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 09:36:24 PM »
When I first saw the pictures of the slit pouches I started wondering just how they were used.  My initial thought was something like a pair of saddle bags or a smaller version over a belt. The PDF article, while it gave lots of details of origin, construction and decoration, provided only this bit of information.
"A longitudinal slit in the upper layer provides access to the two compartments formed by carrying the pouch over a belt or sometimes a powder horn. The latter variant points to the primary function of these bags as containers for bullets, cartridges and other material related to the use of firearms, which is documented in museum records. Other possible uses, such as tobacco bags, may be secondary."

Before I read that I thought they would be much more utilitarian. I wonder if the scholars ever looked inside and sampled whatever remnants, no matter how small, might be found.  Rollingb's info on "market wallets" leads me to think the slit pouches were probably used for every conceivable purpose in daily life.

Now I'm wondering what the non-northeast tribes used for similar purposes.

I think these pictures are fairly typical of what the western tribes used as carrying bags,....  :bl th up

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrEZ67iu.ldVlQAQxAPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=carrying+pouches+used+by+18th.+century+Plains+indians&fr=yhs-iba-1&hspart=iba&hsimp=yhs-1

For storing purposes, "parfleche" pouches/envelopes (made from rawhide and painted) were also used in abundance,....  :bl th up

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrC_DPcveldryUAGwsPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=parfleche+bags&fr=yhs-iba-1&hspart=iba&hsimp=yhs-1
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6