Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Leather working questions 3 & 4  (Read 1415 times)

Spotted Bull

Leather working questions 3 & 4
« on: June 03, 2020, 01:28:37 AM »
3. When laying out your stitching, do you use a groover or calipers or some such tool to make an incised line to lay out your stitches, or do you freehand it?
4. Do you use an overstitch or pricking wheel, or chisels with various numbers of points or what? And how many stitches per inch do you normally use?

Here are my answers.
3. I use a Pro Groover from Tandy Leather to make a nice groove around the edge of the leather. That allows the stitches to kinda lay down in the groove and avoid being rubbed during use. And it keeps them all straight looking too.
4. I normally use a 6-stitch-per-inch pricking wheel to mark out my holes. I use a small diamond shaped awl to punch my holes at a 45 degree angle to the edge. I have overstitch wheels in 5,6,7,8,10,12, and 14 stitches per inch. I’ve never used the 14, but the 10 and 12 I’ve used once each. They both took a looong time to sew up!

Online Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Re: Leather working questions 3 & 4
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:33:51 AM »
I sew chrome tanned leather almost exclusively so I never use a stitching wheel to space my stitching. I use a ruler, a leather marker, a old cobbler's awl, and lots of patience.

Darren

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »
I lay out my stitch pattern on the actual pattern of the item, then transfer with a round needle point antique saddlers punch then sew it up!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
I mainly work with,.... brain tan (when I can get it), or german tan (when I can't get brain tan), and rawhide,.... while doing my best to (mostly) steer away from making things that look like they could have been bought "commercially" during the early 1800's.

So,.... no patterns, or, stichin' wheels, and etc. for me.  :)  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
I can not actually remember the last time I hand stitched anything.  Them darn walking foot Juki sewing machines really spoil a person.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Spotted Bull

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:17:22 PM »
I can not actually remember the last time I hand stitched anything.  Them darn walking foot Juki sewing machines really spoil a person.

I've thought of getting a machine for my items that aren't related to this hobby.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 12:47:01 PM »
I don't do all that much with leather, just when i need something.  My sewing is freehand (and shows it) with a Speedy Stitcher (?) awl with the thread on a spool in the handle.  It seems to hold up just fine for what i use it for.  I have an open top case for a Trapper type pocket knife I made in '76 which has seen daily wear on my belt since then and has held out just fine.  That one I sewed up with carpet thread vice Speedy Stitcher.

~Kees~
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025