Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Octagon barrel v.s. Round barrel  (Read 784 times)

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
Octagon barrel v.s. Round barrel
« on: May 02, 2015, 04:54:35 PM »
Can anyone give me a history lesson about the making of Octagon Barrels and why they were made in that shape? Was it cheeper to make. I know alot of 1800's guns used Octagon Barrels like Hawken or Plains rifles going out west or Kentucky or Ohio Rifles. I know that the Round Barrel was being used on Military guns during the Revolutionary War back in the 1700's and the Civil War in the 1800's. Alot of gunmakers used Octagon Barrels no matter what part of the country they were in. Why Octagon over Round or in the Military guns Round over Octagon shaped barrels? I was just wondering! Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Octagon barrel v.s. Round barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »
Generally speaking:

Round barrels were cheaper to make since less metal was needed. Labor itself was cheap.

Octagon barrels were found on rifles. More weight out front = steadier hold.

18th century rifles' barrels were tapered and flared ("swamped") for better balance. After 1800 or so, barrels got shorter and became either straight or tapered.

Military guns had round barrels because of cost (see above) and because it was MUCH easier to fit a bayonet to a round barrel.

Some guns (fowling pieces, trade guns, etc) had barrels that were octagon at the breech end and transitioned to round 9-11" or so down the barrel. This helped put more metal around the breech to aid in strength, but allowed the front end of the gun to stay lively for shooting at moving targets.

Mario

Offline cowboys1062

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Octagon barrel v.s. Round barrel
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Thankyou for the reply and information. What you said clears up some of my thoughts on the subject. I was just wondering.