Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Nebraska State shoot 9/2-4/23  (Read 580 times)

Offline LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
Nebraska State shoot 9/2-4/23
« on: September 01, 2023, 12:30:13 AM »
Anyone going? 

Haven't been to one in so long I'm not sure it is worth the bother.  GF is doing a garage sale that weekend, I may stay home and watch stuff not sell!   :Doh!

Offline LongWalker

Re: Nebraska State shoot 9/2-4/23
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 12:08:44 PM »
Sorry, didn't get back with an after-match report.  Hopefully someone was there as an actual competitor and has a better report!

I got there Sunday morning (9/3), about 10 AM.  Parking lot was pretty empty (turned out most of the cars were parked in camp).  I wandered from the parking lot through the camp to the firing line.

Only noticed one trader set up.  Decent weather (wasn't hot yet), but only 11 shooters on the line--maybe 4-5 of them were kids.  I wandered back through the camp to the parking lot and headed home.  Camps, there were around 10-15 on the west side.  On the east side (what used to be the "primitive" side) I only saw one.

It will be interesting to hear how many shooters they had in total for the state matches.  Last number I recall from when I was actively competing there was in the neighborhood of 100. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 02:06:49 PM »
Sorry to hear so few turned out LongWalker. Back in the day (early / mid 2000's) when I attended them, there seemed to be quite a few participating, but times / commitments / and life in general change over the years. (I'm assuming State Shoot is still held a mile or two outside of Cairo, Nebraska?)

There was a time is was held all the way in Omaha (I believe that's what (the late) Jim Potter told me... I may be wrong, as I get older I seem to remember things a bit different - least ways that's what my wife tells me...  ::)  :)

The above isn't to say that Cairo, NE isn't a far distance (round trip) to make for a feller out here in NW Nebraska. It is!!! (Gas was a whole lot cheaper back in those days.)

Anyway, thanks for the report.  :shake

Joe

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »
I may be wrong, as I get older I seem to remember things a bit different - least ways that's what my wife tells me...  ::)  :)

That's the hazard of being married for a long time!   :laffing  My Sweetie is the same way.  If I dare to challenge her memories I invariably turn out to be wrong....   ;banghead;  BUT, her memory has kept me out of trouble a time or two also so I can't complain.  Wouldn't do any good if i did anyway!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »
I may be wrong, as I get older I seem to remember things a bit different - least ways that's what my wife tells me...  ::)  :)

That's the hazard of being married for a long time!   :laffing  My Sweetie is the same way.  If I dare to challenge her memories I invariably turn out to be wrong....   ;banghead;  BUT, her memory has kept me out of trouble a time or two also so I can't complain.  Wouldn't do any good if i did anyway!

~Kees~

Yes, one must tread carefully if one doesn't want to cook their own meals...  :laffing
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
Isn't that odd? I've been married 38 years and SHE has the faulty memory! Seems like now all her car accidents have been the other guys fault, etc. Good thing I'm a better cook than she is.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend