Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Blowing down barrel  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
I always heard that blowing down the barrel helped to keep the powder residue soft for eaiser loading of the next round. I never had much of a habit of doing it, but today I did it after every shot, and I would see some smoke or residue come out the nipple when I did that, and I do believe it made the gun eaiser to load on the next round, but it could have been my imagination.

At any rate, my gun was as easy to load on the last round as the first and accuracy seem to hold it's own. But I changed a lot of things this time, so I doubt blowning down the barrel made much difference, but I did see stuff comming out the nipple, that would have still been in there, for the next shot.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »
Quote from: "Lastmohecken"
At any rate, my gun was as easy to load on the last round as the first and accuracy seem to hold it's own. But I changed a lot of things this time, so I doubt blowing down the barrel made much difference, but I did see stuff coming out the nipple, that would have still been in there, for the next shot.

So will you continue blowing down the barrel????
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2009, 08:38:59 PM »
I think so, I see no reason not to, unless I am shooting at a range that forbids it, but since I don't do much of any range shooting, anymore, why not.

Lastmohecken
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
Unless I am in a real hurry, I patch between shots anyway so I figure the patched jag does the blowing for me and keeps my head out from over the bore. I mostly hunt so my first shot when it counts will almost always be from a clean bore so I try to duplicate that for every shot or almost every shot in range sessions. The patched jag blows and cleans both way better than I am sure my best "huff" could produce.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »
Except, your  best "huff", contains lots of moisture, and that's the reason it works for us.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
I bet the "huff" is not as moist as the spit patch I push down the barrel on my jag. :-) Not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful to an old ritual; it just seems to me that blowing down the barrel is more ritual than practical and kinda like licking your thumb and wipeing the front sight before you shoot.  Then again I am honestly too new to really know how important or effective it is either way.

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
(No subject)
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »
Sometimes a policeman gets depressed from the stress of dealing with life's scum, and the stress on his family. When he puts the muzzle of the gun in his mouth, it is known in police circles as "eating the gun"

There are, believe it or not, rather well established safety rules for handling guns. Since at least the 18th century it has been noted that "unloaded guns" do a fair amount of killing. Those with sufficient intelligence to follow established safety rules, such as promoted by the NRA & NMLRA, do not intentionally point any firearm, loaded or "not", at anything they don't want a hole through.

Personally I don't much care whether you suck or blow the muzzle, you will  not do it on our DSC range.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »
Mr. Kelly-you have beat the horse to death....I'll continue to blow down my barrel, you can continue to not....beating folks down with "safety rules" can get really old, really fast....most of us know the "rules"
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline woodman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
I would like to know how you load your Muzzleloaders withiout putting a part of your body in front of the muzzle? Last time I looked the only way to hold a ramrod is in your hand there is no holder that I know of that allows you to load with out putting your hand in front of the barrel. What do you do decide which hand is expendeple.....
 Woodman
  Meant tounge in cheek as this is a silly discussion........Personaly I blow down the barrel as old habits are hard to break...and if you can't tell if your rifle gun has gone off ...then maybe ya should't be shootin any way..............
Colorado TMA State Representative
Founding Member Uncompahgre Freetrappers
 associate member War Eagles
Happy Canyon Rendezvous Booshway
Tma Member #413 exp 1/21/11

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
(No subject)
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2009, 04:58:45 PM »
I blow down the barrel of 12L14 barrel and will continue to do so.  : ) :lol:

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "woodman"
I would like to know how you load your Muzzleloaders withiout putting a part of your body in front of the muzzle? Last time I looked the only way to hold a ramrod is in your hand there is no holder that I know of that allows you to load with out putting your hand in front of the barrel. What do you do decide which hand is expendeple.....
 Woodman
  Meant tounge in cheek as this is a silly discussion........Personaly I blow down the barrel as old habits are hard to break...and if you can't tell if your rifle gun has gone off ...then maybe ya should't be shootin any way..............

Them's my thoughts EXACTLY!!  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline bushy

• TMA Forum Member
Safety Rules of NMLRA
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Tired of this post but I have to comment. If the NMLRA is so concerned about gun safety than maybe they should not endorse Re enacting events as such because the players all point their weapons at the other players.  Yes they point over their heads but they are still horseplaying with real guns.  Loaded with powder only but still loaded.  It is not a safety issue as such. Re enacting is a great money maker, safety no.
I do blow down my own barrel.   I do not horseplay with my flinters.  I do not point my flinters at anyone even over their heads.  If I ever pointed a unloaded flinter over someones head at my range, I would be thrown off.  If I was to point an unloaded flinter over my neighbours head the Police would be called and my guns would be taken.  
So get off your high horses about gun safety and blowing down the barrel.  If it was a safety issue as stated   Re enacting  would be banned.  But again there is too much money in it and we all know money is what really counts.  In reality boys and girls all loading procedures of a muzzleloader should be considered an unsafe practise.  So do I continue with my hobby and shoot my flinters?  You bet and I will suffer the consequences if and when they occur.

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Amigos)Stay Well and Shoot Often

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
If something has to be "risked" to shoot a muzzle loader then I am OK with that but for my part that "risk" will be my hand on the ram rod, not my HEAD! Again, I am new and mean no disrespect to what seems to be an old and very ingrained ritual. Old pistol shooters like me have been putting our hand in front of the muzzle of revolvers with a cleaning rod for ever so my hand in front of a muzzle with a rod in it does not seem unnatural at all. My head in front of any muzzle does make my skin crawl a little.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
Obivously there are many folks who practice this, and quite a number of folks who would never consider such a practice.

It is equally obivous by those who do that it has absolutely nothing to do with safety, and may even increase the "prevention" factor of an accident occuring.

We all must admit that safety is paramont in any shooting event, and we have all gotta respect the other persons opinion on safety issues...range related shooting incidents are rare indeed, whether black or smokeless, while hunting related incidents seem to increase proportinately with the increase of hunters in the field.....two totally different scienieros.

This is a long running thread, and there is a lot to be learned....if we remain civil to the others opinion.
Let's try very hard to keep the thread on track, and refrain from any "cheap shots'.....otherwise, it will be locked and removed, as we all know, or should know by now, that such behavior is not allowed on this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
Just to pick up a beautiful longrifle harkens (in me) a feeling of going "back in time", a time when life was much freer and much less restrictive.
A time,.... when the "rules of safety" were left up to each individual to watch out for his own life and well-being.
A time,.... when it was thought to be "rude" (or, even ludicrous) to force someone to do something (or, NOT doing something) because of some "unsubstantial occurence."
A time,.... when the "PERSONAL choices" a man made, were "HIS" choices alone and not DICTATED by others who thought differently.
A time,.... when the longrifle was a "daily tool", such as one might consider a hammer, power tool, (or etc.) today.
A time,.... when a man took responsibility for his own actions and "lived, or died, with the conseqences" of his PERSONAL decisions.
A time,.... that is all too fast disappearing, but still appreciated, and "longed for", by many of us who love traditional muzzleloaders.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6