Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: First Aid and "Treatment Kits"??  (Read 2219 times)

Offline LeeRoy

• TMA Forum Member
Re: First Aid and "Treatment Kits"??
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
Great start on a topic that I always need to improve on.

LeeRoy
Keep your powder dry.

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
Quote from: "Ironhand"
What ever you carry your kit in I would strongly suggest that it be on your person rather than in your bag or pack. A kit that is in your pack, back in camp, will do you no good when you tumble down a hill on the way to the stream for water. I carry my kit in a belt bag. That way it is always on me.

I have just engrained into myself NEVER to step away from the truck or camp without my survival kit (and my first-aid kit is part of that). I am allergic to bees and there is a strong possibility that just getting into the pack, let alone going to get it, might be all the time I have. But, that is very excellent advice.

contents:
antibiotic ointment, various band-aids, small micro cloth, meds, magnifier, mirror, matches (I have those every packed in everything -paranoid like Pathfinder), and when I hunt I add... a few "lady" things  :oops: . That's kinda the minimum I carry.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
Right... so update... the two kits idea I adopted, so the "big" kit is with the pack, which might stay in camp.  The smaller kit goes with me everywhere.  

Tube of 3AO
dressings/bandaids/butterfly closures
1 oz. Campho Phenique liquid (topical disinfectant. Good for burns & bites & poison ivy)
Small swiss army knife (has tweezers)
small tube of liquid tears
New skin liquid (good for blisters and odd scratches and cuts where normal bandaids don't work)
tin of antiseptic salve
Ibuprofen tablets (12 @ 200 mg ea.)
Anti-diarrhea pills (4)
Antihistamine pills (4) type that won't raise blood pressure.  Good for stuffy nose and to buy time if a person gets an unexpected allergic reaction.

I used it last weekend for another living history person who had a sudden headache.  Plus myself, as I found that I need to hike more and to get in shape before going on a jaunt through the woods.  Didn't bother me so much when "jaunting"... the next morning though OUCH.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.