Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Tip's Carolina Flinter  (Read 1925 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
Re: Tip's Carolina Flinter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »
:notworthy
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
i'll lift a sudsy glass or two to mr. tip curtis, as well.  he done me most righteous and i highly recommend gittin a long gun from him.  in fact, he's now making me a bucks county 54 smoothbore.  ah yes, life is still good.  :happy

well, there are a few speed bumps to negotiate - no shootin today, gonna be next friday.  hope to have videos to show as well.   8)

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
rfd you put some fine work on some already fine work and that adds up to a shore nuff fine rifle!!!
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »
a troop of us braved the pouring rains this morning at the range, but we did have some fun and made the best of it all despite soggy black powder, lots of ignition problems, dive bombing skeeters, lost ramrod jags, and touch hole picks wandering under the shed floor boards.  much noise, fire and smoke was made despite these pithy obstacles.  tip's carolina flinter did roar to life more than a few times.  she's a dang fine rifle.  all is well and good, as it should be.   :rt th

click the image to see the video

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
Nice rifle.  Most excellent.  Have you finished be barrel and lock or are you going to leave them in the white?
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
barrel and lock to be left in-the-white and patina on their own, as monitored by me. :)

Offline carbineone

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »
Very nice. That looks gorgeous..

Offline 1911tex

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
Beautiful rifle...like I like, plain and deadly.  Are you going to stain the ramrod?  Darker or lighter or to match the stock?  Powder charge?  Ball size?  Patch thickness?  Lube?  Did you wipe between shots?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »
yup, i did finish the rod using a bit of amber aniline dye stain wiped on, then a light wipe of lmf lancaster maple, followed by 3 light wipes of permalyn sealer.  buffing between all of the preceding with 4/0 wool, last coat buffed only with a paper towel.  i did want it much lighter in hue than the stock, as a contrast, and that what she is now.  

started off with 50 grains of goex 2f and worked upwards to 70 grains, but she likes about 60+ grains best.  next session i'll be working with goex 3f.  haven't touched the sight alignment.  going for groups first with different powder granulation, charges, balls and patches.  to me, this is the fun part and will probably take the rest of the summer to sort out.

right now, .440" balls and .012" llbean flannel shirt patching (dutch dry lube, 6:1 ratio).

i always wipe between shots - i used dry .012" 1-1/2" precut patches moist lubed with moose milk, followed by a dry patch.