Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman Investarms GPR flinter "kit"  (Read 2285 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Lyman Investarms GPR flinter "kit"
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Rob,.... I just placed my order for that nifty little breech plug socket.  :hey-hey
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:54 AM »
She's good to go with four rubbed oil coats, for a satin sheen that's flexible and will readily repel moisture.  Will do more rubbed in coats later on.

Ready for a range baptism ...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
Looks good!  :hey-hey
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
Ain't no fleas on that dog!
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
and she shoots reliably and accurately!  :bl th up

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Pretty neat socket you have there rfd. Curious about the shape of the hole. What is the other square part of the hole that you didn't use, used for? Hope that makes sense.

the socket is a near tight fit to the barrel, and i think that squared out opening just helps in getting it onto the breech end.  took a few light tack hammer taps to home it on, no problem.  will never have a tough time removing investarms patent breech plugs from now on, amen to that!
The squared part of the tool's hole allows the tool to fit over the "snail" on percussion-type breech plugs.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 06:54:49 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
Quote from: "rfd"
Pretty neat socket you have there rfd. Curious about the shape of the hole. What is the other square part of the hole that you didn't use, used for? Hope that makes sense.

the socket is a near tight fit to the barrel, and i think that squared out opening just helps in getting it onto the breech end.  took a few light tack hammer taps to home it on, no problem.  will never have a tough time removing investarms patent breech plugs from now on, amen to that!
The squared part of the tool's hole allows the tool to fit over the "snail" on percussion-type breech plugs.  :rt th

hot dang rondo, ya nailed it!  not being a cap person i couldn't figure out why the heck that socket wasn't full on octagonal!  great info, sir, thanx!

Offline Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
By gosh, that ole rondo's still got it.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
By gosh, that ole rondo's still got it.
Yep, downright amazin' ain't it.
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 10:55:29 PM »
I got my little breech plug tool in yesterday's mail,... still waitin' on my octagon barrel vice jaws from Rice.
Both of these items are something I've could have used many times over the years.  :shake
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
Not sure if being PC is important to you or not. If it is important I challenge you to show me a picture of a real Hawken half stock that's a flintlock. All the flintlocks I could find are full stocks. All half stocks I could find are caplocks. Although there did seem to be some full stock caplocks. I'm not sure if they were factory, or converted.

Just saying.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
pete, pc and hc are both not important to me at all.  

did a half stock flint hawken exist?  were there a lot of any kinda hawkens in use by mountain men?  don't know or care.  the romance of the hawken, like that of the sharps rifle (of which only a fraction were built and used, as compared to the rolling block), is what matters to me and most others.

"There is no historical evidence that the Hawken brothers built any halfstock flint rifles, but, considering only about 10% of their rifles have survived, who can really say? One thing is for certain: to ship a rifle to Canada without a great deal of paperwork, it has to be a flinter. The Canadian owner of this rifle is a flint collector who wanted a halfstock Hawken style rifle with a flint ignition system - here it is. W.B. Selb" ...

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Interesting. Do you know who made that gun?

Sadly, I sold the flint GPR I had. It bothered me that I had a gun that was never made. I wish I could have found your picture.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
wb selb makes hawkens exclusively - wb selb hawken rifles

there are *SO* many things that went on 150 to 300 years ago that we'll never know about, let alone understand.  without empirical evidence/proof, who's to say the hawkens brothers never made a half stock flinter?  there was no "transition" rifle that married the flint lock to the half stock, as the flintlock was phased out of their offerings?  

this is the same as saying there never ever was a short ball starter used during those periods.  to date, there is no short starter artefact, nor written or graphic evidence of such a device, but who can say one never really existed?  there are many other like examples.  

all that will matter is what you want to make of all this stuff, what sparks yer interest and imagination.  hawkens might have been desired, but according to records, not that many were actually in the mountains as compared to so many other rifle types, most chosen out of economic necessity.  it's like the popularity of the sharps rifle is solely due to hollyweird, there weren't that many out there killing buff and in military use as compared to other action type rifles.  well over a million rollers as compared to maybe 200k worth of sharps.

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »
True, but you know how it goes. If it can't be found and proved correct it can't be called PC HC. You can't assume something is correct, because you can't prove it isn't.

It's not that I was that heavy into being PC HC, but for my own satisfaction I wanted a gun that was actually built by Hawken. It's a personal thing. I'm not bothered too much what others think, but I am concerned what I think. Satisfying myself has always been difficult.

To be honest. None of the production guns satisfied me. Only a custom built Hawken would, but I never had the money for one.

Anyway, I didn't mean to step on your thread. Carry on.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017