Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Best flints  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: Best flints
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »
Another vote for the Fuller English flints from TOTW.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »
I mostly use Tom Fuller's flints, although my Saturday foray to the range found me with a Rich Pierce white flint in the jaws of the T-C.  Unfortunately it kept breaking off and not sparking well, even after knapping it back to a good edge and I had to replace it with a black flint.  I also have some cut flints I picked up at a gun show which seem to work well enough.  I keep a diamond knife sharpener in my shooting bag to sharpen those if needed.

I've heard lots of good things about the French amber flints, and may give those a try at some point.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »
You know, this topic reminds me of a little test I did last year.

On another forum we were talking about the popularity of the flintlock over the caplock, and how/why the flintlocks held on in popularity (which is still true to this day) that if you ran out of caps for your rifle - well, you were just plain screwed until you could get somewhere to get those percussion caps... However, if you had a flintlock rifle and you needed a flint for it, you could pretty much find something on the ground (flint or chert) that you could fashion into a flint for your rifle.

So I decided to do a little test last summer and found what looked like a piece of chert on the ground, picked it up, took it home and fashioned it as best I could into a workable flint that would fit the jaws of my lock and gave it a try - by golly it worked! It pretty much put the above mentioned topic we were discussing in prospective.

Now this post has nothing to do with "Best Flints" but it does shed light on the subject that a flint (no matter who made it or where it came from) as long as it works, it's a good flint.  :bl th up :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »
thats a good endorsement.

I think the biggest deterrent for choosing a flintlock in the past was that low-dollar flintlocks simply did not function very well. So people thought the technology itself was not good. I used to think that years ago-- so I stayed with a percussion lock. When I finally tried a decent quality flintlock, I found that flintlock technology is plenty good and there ARE a few advantages to it over percussion. Not to say percussion was not an improvement.  <snip!>

K

Admin: please post within the rules of this forum, thank you.