Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: i can't believe what i just did ...  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: i can't believe what i just did ...
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
Just a clarification on scoring.
Is it 10 points per hit on the cup

OR

is it indicated score?

Just wondering.  Would seem that 10 points per hit would tend to produce a lot of tied scores?

John

John, Ohio Joe can best answer this but I will step-in for him for just a second.....

The Cup itself has the "scoring" rings...
Put 'em all in the 10 ring and ya got 50 points.
Put 'em 'em all in the 4 ring and ya got 20 points,
Put 3 in the 10 ring, and then hit Ol' Mike twice and ya got yourself a total score of 10 points.

In other words, in the target you see, with scoring rings representing 4, 6, 8, and 10, that is the numeric value of your total score.
Quite naturally, there's a few deductions that go along this, one of them being clearly marked on the forehead of the most honorable Mike Fink....and a no-score for that round iff'n you just miss the cup and Mr. Mike....but if you do hit him, ya pay the big price of loosing 10 points from what you already had.

Joe has some pretty well defined rules on hits and misses, what counts and what doesn't, and Joe has always been more than fair on any questionable hit.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
Thanks Russ for fielding that question.  :shake

Here is the 2017 Scoring Rules;

Scoring will be - (You Must Break The "Scoring Line Completely" To Receive The Higher Score Value) - A Ball That Is Half or Better In The Head From The Bottom Line Of The CUP Will Be Scored As A MINUS TEN (-10)...

This is the last year for the above scoring method.

*********************************************************************************************

Now,,, the scoring method will be changed in 2018 to read as follows;

(You Must Break The "Scoring Line Completely" To Receive The Higher Score Value) - Any Part Of A Ball Hole Touching Mike Finks Head Will Be Scored As A MINUS TEN (-10)...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:54:47 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
holy moly!!!  you mean i done killed ol' mike with that low ball???  HAH!   

i absolutely agree on the NEW 2018 rules - they should be enforced for this years match, too.   there should be no such thing as slightly hitting ol' mike with a .350 ball in the head and by some miracle he lives.   :Doh!   :laffing

for me, it's not about the score as much as it is getting to the range and having a purpose/goal for being there, and the camaraderie of my local shooting cronies.

:*:

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
holy moly!!!  you mean i done killed ol' mike with that low ball???  HAH!   

i absolutely agree on the NEW 2018 rules - they should be enforced for this years match, too.   there should be no such thing as slightly hitting ol' mike with a .350 ball in the head and by some miracle he lives.   :Doh!   :laffing

for me, it's not about the score as much as it is getting to the range and having a purpose/goal for being there, and the camaraderie of my local shooting cronies.

:*:

Great attitude!
 :hairy
You're right! There's just no better explanation for the reason behind us doing this.

The actual score is a mere pittance in comparison to the real value of all our shoots....it's great fun, it gets all of us out on the range, plus the Esprit De Corps / Camaraderie it develops is simply beyond reproach.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
Yes. Great attitude!

And to be clear,,, we started this year's shoot with 2017 Rules, and we will end it with the 2017 Rules. It is what it is.

Scoring changes will take place in 2018.  :shake

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:52:55 PM by Ohio Joe »

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
OK. So Rob, I am not trying to pick on you, but on your second target that you shot, there is a clean 8 and an 8 that is mostly in the scoring side of the side of the cup.  So, I would call that 16.
Then there is a clean 10.  Then there is a ball that is in the line and grazes the scull.  No part of the ball is in the 10 space.  Does the cut head mean a minus 10 or because it is in the black line does it not count?
So, I would call that probably a 26 score.  Right or wrong, it is maybe consideration for redrawing the target for next time??  To make the lines thinner?
But then, after Rob sent it in and Joe looked at it and he called it a 40.  Not sure how you got there, Joe.
Sorry, just trying to figure out how that worked.  Again, not trying to pick on anyone, just wondering.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 11:52:32 PM »
OK. So Rob, I am not trying to pick on you, but on your second target that you shot, there is a clean 8 and an 8 that is mostly in the scoring side of the side of the cup.  So, I would call that 16.
Then there is a clean 10.  Then there is a ball that is in the line and grazes the scull.  No part of the ball is in the 10 space.  Does the cut head mean a minus 10 or because it is in the black line does it not count?
So, I would call that probably a 26 score.  Right or wrong, it is maybe consideration for redrawing the target for next time??  To make the lines thinner?
But then, after Rob sent it in and Joe looked at it and he called it a 40.  Not sure how you got there, Joe.
Sorry, just trying to figure out how that worked.  Again, not trying to pick on anyone, just wondering.
John

John, I have not seen Rob's target in person as yet.

My post to him reads;

That's a good target Rob. Looks like it's gonna score a 40.

You shaved a little hair off the top of ol' Mike Finks head, but not enough (as it appears to me) to hurt your score.

I didn't say it was a factual score of 40, but I can see how it could be taken that way.

As far as thinner lines? The lines are heavy for a reason in certain areas, so the shooter can have at least a chance to see the outline of the cup. In as much one can view the heavy lines as a top and bottom dependent on ball placement.

Mike Fink is suppose to be a free "fun" shoot. Obviously some are taking this way too serious. If this is going to be a common practice, the Fink shoot will simply end. It was never intended to be an official TMA Shoot. It's a promo fun shoot,,, and granted there is way to many loose scoring ends that need to be more defined if it were an official shoot.

So lets not create a controversy over this. Accept it for what it is, a fun promo shoot that hopefully we can all have a good time with, and maybe draw in some new members.  :shake

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »
John
''

i really could care less about my score, that's not what matters most to me.  this is a fun match, and nitpicking on scoring would suck out the fun factor for me.  whether i scored a 26 or a 40, i had a goal for getting to the range, did my best for that day and with the gun i used, and so i call it a win-win for me.  i'm more interested in how i was able to group shots at 25yds offhand.  how'd ya do with yer mike fink target, john?

the "wrong" mike fink target i shot last week with a .62 smoothie, that would have netted a zero in total points, was one of the best target results i've ever had with a smoothbore, offhand at 25yds.  i'm darned proud of that target face!  and i'll add - with a balky ignition flinter!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
2017 Scoring Rules for the Mike Fink Target;

Scoring will be - (You Must Break The "Scoring Line Completely" To Receive The Higher Score Value) NOTE: Outer Scoring Lines That Are Thicker Then The Inner Scoring Lines Should Be Viewed As Thinner Lines (from the outside - And In Some Situations From The Inside Line) When Scoring Them... A Ball That Is Half or Better In The Head From The Bottom Line Of The CUP Will Be Scored As A MINUS TEN (-10)...  There May Be Situations With The Scoring That Requires The "Match Scorer" To Make A Judgement Call Of Shot Placement On The Mike Fink Target... A Judgement Call Is Not Open To Debate, Nor Is The Scoring System Of The Mike Fink Target Open For Debate. (ALL MIKE FINK TARGETS ARE SCORED THE SAME)

2018 Scoring Rules for the Mike Fink Target;

Scoring will be - (You Must Break The "Scoring Line Completely" To Receive The Higher Score Value) NOTE: Outer Scoring Lines That Are Thicker Then The Inner Scoring Lines Should Be Viewed As Thinner Lines (from the outside - And In Some Situations From The Inside Line) When Scoring Them... A Ball That "Cuts" The Head Of Mike Fink From The Bottom Line Of The CUP Will Be Scored As A MINUS TEN (-10)...  There May Be Situations With The Scoring That Requires The "Official Match Scorer" To Make A Judgement Call Of Shot Placement On The Mike Fink Target... A Judgement Call Is Not Open To Debate, Nor Is The Scoring System Of The Mike Fink Target Open For Debate. (ALL MIKE FINK TARGETS ARE SCORED THE SAME)

If you are a participant in the Mike Fink Shoot,,, or plan on holding a Mike Fink Shoot at your local club, and you have a scoring question, PM "me" and I will answer your question... Do not assume what you think it should be here on the open Forum.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:03:36 AM by Ohio Joe »

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
The real question I wanted an answer to was whether or not it was indicated score or 10 points per hit on the cup.

I apologize for making the question too elaborate.  And maybe appearing too nit-picking.  Was not my intention.

I know it's a fun target meant for amusement only.  I may not be that smart, but I ain't all that stupid, either.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
the "wrong" mike fink target i shot last week with a .62 smoothie, that would have netted a zero in total points, was one of the best target results i've ever had with a smoothbore, offhand at 25yds.
I BEG TO DIFFER!  That would net at least a minus 20 for catching ol' Mike in the skull.  If the other shots below the ribbon around his head count the same, it would be a minus 40, which would definitely put you in contention for the red lantern!  :applaud

That is some shooting with a smoothbore, no matter that it didn't hit the cup!   :hairy

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »
the "wrong" mike fink target i shot last week with a .62 smoothie, that would have netted a zero in total points, was one of the best target results i've ever had with a smoothbore, offhand at 25yds.
I BEG TO DIFFER!  That would net at least a minus 20 for catching ol' Mike in the skull.  If the other shots below the ribbon around his head count the same, it would be a minus 40, which would definitely put you in contention for the red lantern!  :applaud

That is some shooting with a smoothbore, no matter that it didn't hit the cup!   :hairy

~WH~

HAH!  yer right!  i didn't get a zero score, i got a less than zero score - how stupid cool is THAT?!  :Doh! :o ;D :toast

gimme that red lantern!  i want it BAD!!!   :laffing   :applaud   :pray:

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »

~WH~

Yup, that would have scored a -40... All head shots are minus 10 (-10) per shot in the head.

To clarify the "ribbon" around Mike Fink's head, it is what holds his eye-patch on and has no separating value of head shot scores. It's just another shadow line incorporated to help with seeing the target out line.  :bl th up

Had old Mike Fink been made with a neck, that practice -40 could have been worse, but also could have been record setting at least on a practice target.

And I agree with Winter Hawk; 

~WH~

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »
Withdrawn
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:20:41 AM by amm1851 »
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 10:27:49 PM »
Nah, not controversy, just good natured ribbing!  :lol sign That is the trouble with written communications - you can't hear the inflections which let you know that something is said in jest.  Then folks get riled up over something which started more as leg pulling. :Doh!  Which leads me to say that you should always take what I say as an attempt at humor. :o

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025