Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Congrats to Axe, First Member to Complete Our 2017 Paper Silhouettes  (Read 2760 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Congrats to Axe, First Member to Complete Our 2017 Paper Silhouettes
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
congrats axe, oops sorry, make that mad irish! your prize awaits you!  please PM or email me!

http://tradmla.org/tma-postal/

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 09:55:37 PM »
Hey Rob, Axe isn't the highest scorer (though he scored a'lot!)

Mad Irish Jack is the high scorer with 58 of 60.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
So when do we get to sign up for the 2018 shoot?  I'm chomping at the bit to get that done already!  :laffing :laffing :laffing

I expect Rob will have us some notification up and Running by or before November 1st, or sometime in that time period.  :bl th up

We'll still have our monthly matches we can post our target(s) of how we did.

Also, it's never to early to start looking for a Mike Fink partner. I got ol' No Powder lined out for 2018. He's willing to take the risk that I might actually get 5 shots in the cup in 2018... :)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Joe, you should have my September targets by now, even though I shot 'em at the last minute, in between rain and wind, I got lucky one day and gotRdone.
I'm supposedly looking at a few nice days next week, so with a little luck I can get both my smoothie targets, AND my silly-wet targets shot at. (notice I said "shot at")

Joe, I was just wondering if you have any pictures of the Winning Targets from the big winners this year?
Were they darken out? Or left as issued?

You know, a little something to aspire to next year.  :bow

My own shooting this year has been a hit and miss affair between Doctor appointments, my other half's appointments, weather, old age, arthritis, and on, and on...I got at least 560 reasons on why I didn't do real well, none of 'em actually real valid, some didn't even have anything to do with shooting, but you should never let even a "half-way" excuse go to waste.   IMHO.
(I got these words of wisdom from brother Al Bateman, now there's a guy who knows a thing or three about excuses.)

BTW; A GOOD excuse is one you can use over and over, and over, and....you get the picture.

Anyway, I would like to see some of the better targets if that's okay.
Along with any friendly tips that may accompany them....jus'sayin

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
Joe, you should have my September targets by now, even though I shot 'em at the last minute, in between rain and wind, I got lucky one day and gotRdone.
I'm supposedly looking at a few nice days next week, so with a little luck I can get both my smoothie targets, AND my silly-wet targets shot at. (notice I said "shot at")

Joe, I was just wondering if you have any pictures of the Winning Targets from the big winners this year?
Were they darken out? Or left as issued?

You know, a little something to aspire to next year.  :bow

My own shooting this year has been a hit and miss affair between Doctor appointments, my other half's appointments, weather, old age, arthritis, and on, and on...I got at least 560 reasons on why I didn't do real well, none of 'em actually real valid, some didn't even have anything to do with shooting, but you should never let even a "half-way" excuse go to waste.   IMHO.
(I got these words of wisdom from brother Al Bateman, now there's a guy who knows a thing or three about excuses.)

BTW; A GOOD excuse is one you can use over and over, and over, and....you get the picture.

Anyway, I would like to see some of the better targets if that's okay.
Along with any friendly tips that may accompany them....jus'sayin

Uncle Russ...

Russ, I do have your September targets and have been pretty busy my friend - but I will get them posted in a few minutes.

Yes, I will post MIJ's targets tonight. They aren't darken out - they are as issued. Can't say I've seen offhand shooting like that on such an even plane on many targets. Everybody else's targets all have that circular grouping motion, which as you know is indicative to offhand shooting. The targets are interesting to look at.  58 of 60, who'd a thought,,, and a one hole three shot group on one chicken. That's some shootin' for sure.

Here they are;

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:36:12 PM by Ohio Joe »

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
Interesting!
I was hoping to see 'em a little darker, or a little "X" in bright red...in the middle, or something else that I might try.
Heck I don't know, I just wanted to see something that would have benefited me in some way. :Doh!

I strongly suspect the only thing that's going to help this old man is more practice, more time on the range.
And "time" has been the one commodity that has been in short supply this year...maybe next year.

I'm not sure as I can't remember exactly, but I honestly believe I did make paper on ever shot.

I do recall on my very first outing, when my gun went south on me before I completed the string, but I still believe I made paper every shot I made.  :laffing

BTW: I got that old gun shootin again, it shoots just like it should, and right where you hold 'em.
But that's another story for another time.

Thanks Joe!  :bl th up

Uncle Russ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »
I seen MIJ mentioned this in a post earlier to Maven;

After rehabbing my surgically repaired shoulders ( they'll never be 100% again) I was able to steady my technique up. I've closed up my stance up and rotating makes me more rigid and steady; Rock solid for about 2-3 seconds, enough time to hold on and break trigger.

Wow, what a come back!  :bl th up

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:17 AM »
I seen MIJ mentioned this in a post earlier to Maven;

After rehabbing my surgically repaired shoulders ( they'll never be 100% again) I was able to steady my technique up. I've closed up my stance up and rotating makes me more rigid and steady; Rock solid for about 2-3 seconds, enough time to hold on and break trigger.

Wow, what a come back!  :bl th up

I totally agree. What a great comeback.
I sure ain't looking forward to no shoulder repair, but I will voluntarily work on my stance, and my breathing..
Now that's something I can do....No pain involved, that's the way I like it, uh huh....uh huh.

That's an absolutely great come-back from a surgical repair...recovering from that alone takes a lot of work and dedication, been down that road once as a young man, and I ain't in no hurry to go back.

Congratulations on a remarkable recovery, along with some really great shootin.!
 :hairy

Uncle Russ...

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »
I shoot with Maven in other postal matches on other sites. I apologized for the dropped last shot on Mike Fink. That was a 20 point miss. 1/4" up to 11 O'clock and I'd have had +50.  But +40 - 10 dropped me to 30. We've done better. And worse. I can't understand the members on these ML site. They all complain they need to practice but complain the can't get to shoot. These shoots are the perfect reason to go to the range. 3900+ members and less than .008% join the postal shoot activities and around .011% do other things, join posting etc. Being retired gives me the time to do stuff and I won't apologize for it. I've been working for it since age 16. The larger site have smaller percentages for participation. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:04:06 PM by Mad Irish Jack »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
It was a fun shoot !Thanks to all who participated. Gives me another reason to shoot more & save less.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
Went out to the range to shoot my October targets.  First thing someone had left the bravo flag in a big mess on the halyard so I had to straighten that out so I could raise it that the range was hot.  Then the last shooters hadn't cleaned up their brass at the 25 yard range so I got to spend some time cleaning that up.  About that time some other guys showed up to shoot pistol so I moved off the 25 yard to the 100 yard range, posted my target and paced back 30 yards to shoot out of the pouch.  (30 yards so I would definitely exceed the 25 yard limit.)

I fired 3 shots at a paper plate before going for record and those were all over the place.  Things went downhill from there as far as my shooting was concerned.  I missed paper completely four times.  I hit the chicken once and the turkey twice.  That's it.  The pig and ram got away scott free.  NOT one of my better days!

However, I had no difficulties with the rifle's operation.  The flint stayed sharp and there were no ignition problems.  I was priming from the horn and that worked great, even with the FFg powder.  I did end up running a patch down after each shot but had no loading problems what so ever.  Despite the poor performance of the shooter, a good time was had by all!  The targets are in an envelope ready to go to Joe.

Oh, one of the pistol shooters asked if I wanted to buy a Colt 2nd generation BP pistol.  He wants $500 for it.  I said I would post it on here if anyone is interested.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for them, WH.  Sorry your day at the Range didn't go as smooth as you would have liked. At least you got to spend some time making smoke and that's worth a whole bunch in my book!  :toast :shake

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
Yes sir, a good time was had by all!   :hairy

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »
Winter Hawk.....I had a somewhat similar range experience earlier this year.
Out of the clear blue, and for no reason at all, my rifle wouldn't shoot.....never did finish those targets, but I... "run, with what I brung" and sent my targets in to Joe.

Long story short; I had a nipple go bad right then and there, and I replaced it with a "brand new, out of the package" nipple that was also bad....I sure hope the Good Lord was busy somewhere else on that day, because I came up with some really bad stuff to say about that deal.
Drove me crazy for two solid months!
Never heard of such a deal, I mean what's the chances????

Anyway, life is now good as my old clunker is shootin just like she always did.

Uncle Russ...