Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Quick Reloaders  (Read 1684 times)

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Quick Reloaders
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
First shot accuracy is important today as it was back them... BUT what if you were defending yourself back in the day? Being able to reload quickly and efficiently is the sign of a skilled shooter/warrior and was essential for survival. It was also one of the reasons the military and militia used paper cartridges. A humane ethical hunter also finds a use for speedy reloads.

The old dead guys were pretty fast at reloading when they needed to be. Of course, range shooting does not require speed-- actually speed might be dangerous on the crowded shooting line and also ruin accuracy. But speed was a natural acquired skill and important for survival and humane ethical hunting back in the day-- and today as well.

Build your loading skills just like you do your other historic woodscraft. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:26:01 PM by AxelP »

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
First shot accuracy is important today as it was back them... BUT what if you were defending yourself back in the day? Being able to reload quickly and efficiently is the sign of a skilled shooter/warrior and was essential for survival. It was also one of the reasons the military and militia used paper cartridges. A humane ethical hunter also finds a use for speedy reloads.

The old dead guys were pretty fast at reloading when they needed to be. Of course, range shooting does not require speed-- actually speed might be dangerous on the crowded shooting line and also ruin accuracy. But speed was a natural acquired skill and important for survival and humane ethical hunting back in the day-- and today as well.

Build your loading skills just like you do your other historic woodscraft.
Absolutely. Don Bruton has some good information about fast reloading on his DVD.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 07:52:47 AM »
Completely agree on making the first shot count.  Also speed is not required.  I hunt from a tree stand and generally stay put until I shoot a deer or it gets dark so I am up there dawn to dusk.  That said I need to carry a lot of stuff like lunch, water and snacks as well as extra warm clothes.  So I find it easier to take 2 or 3 speed loaders ready to go so I don't need a shooting bag or powder horn.  I only carry my small flat priming horn with my 4F in it.  I have no desire to carry a 50lb pack around.   :laffing  Never had a problem and have not needed a "speedy" second shot.   :toast

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 03:28:56 PM »
When i hunt spring turkey with the smooth bore I carry one extra pre-measured shot charge in a paper coin roll with ends folded and stapled.  It's in the shooting bag.
Steve Sells

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
I try and carry what would historically match the gun I have with me. The idea of merging modern techniques or methods seems contrary to why I enjoy old technology. The old way works just fine. I don't recall weight ever being much of an issue. I'd guess my gear weighs less than 10 lbs not counting the gun. As I get older I just walk slower and thats better for hunting anyways.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:45:28 PM by AxelP »